LR competitions near Birmingham, AL

rocky_lange

I live in Pelham, AL and am looking for for long range competitions near me. F-Class or BR. I already know about Steel City in Hoover, AL but their competitions are limited to 300 yards currently.
I realize I may have to drive a few hours, so out of state shoots are not out of the question. Although, with the cost of ammo/components and gasoline going up, pretty soon I may have to choose between one and the other. (can I mount a gun case on a 10 speed?)

Rocky

Last edited:
There is a 600/1000 f-class match at Pascagoula MS. It would be a 4 hour drive for you. The match is held the second Sunday of each month. I attended last weekend and scored a second place finish despite technical difficulties.(see below) I think this range has been on the decline, but is making a comeback. They have a new guy running the matches. I am sure that as he gains experiance the matches will run a little smoother, not that it was that bad. Met some real nice people there and will be going back next month.

This is the first range that I have ever visited that had a cement firing line for f-class. I have 2 inch spikes on my rest and they wouldnt dig into the cement:mad:

Eddybo , you need a set of spike with carbide tips so you can hammer them into the concrete a little , or a set of aluminum pads with rubber bottoms that your spikes can sit it.

That match , did you shoot 600 or 1000yd F-class?

James it is both. They shoot one 20 shot string at 600 and one 20 shot string at 1000. They give 2 sighters for 600 and up to 7 at 1000. Lost a few points at 1K because I thought it was 2 sighters.

The only bad thing about the range is the difficulty giving good pit service at 1K. No berm so you cant see impacts. It makes it hard to tell when your shooter needs his target scored. I pulled for a guy shooting a 308 with 155s they didnt even vibrate the target when they hit. It was almost impossible to give decent pit service.

It is a bunch of fun and there were some nice folks there. If I head down next month you want I should let you know?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.