Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

I don't know when it will be offered or even if for sure.
Here is a pic of it on a 6.5-284 XP that my son used to down a doe antelope this year at the 265 yard mark.

IMG_1440.jpg

I just ordered a peep sight from Midway , in hopes that that may work & I may not have to scope the rifle . Hope not .

Trying to cope with aging eyes .

WT. I just finished a .280 Rem that I built for iron sights. Used an old Lyman 48 long slide rear and a Lyman 93 front globe fitted to a Rem ramp.

My right eye, (master of course) had cataracts so bad that I couldn't even bore sight with it anymore. Had cataract surgery 2 mos. ago and am almost back to 20/20. I shot match rifle and service rifle so long that I got very comfortable and confident with iron and I really like the clean look and feel of a rifle with iron sights.

With practice, an aperture rear and post front are very fast and can approach m.o.a. accuracy. Aperture rear and front on a black bull can comfortably beat 1 m.o.a. if the rifle is up to it. I used to love 600 yd belly shooting with both setups and could stay in the 190's with either. I don't expect to do that now, but do expect 1 - 2 moa on targets. We'll see.

On edit: I forgot to ask Plinker if the .17 HMR is still good at 250-300 yds. I like them, but don't know much about them.

Ian, I apologize for getting off the topic, but us geezers got to stick together. I hope the iron works out for WT, and for me too.

Tom

Well , the peep sight did not work , at least with my present tri-focals . :-(

If I had a pair of glasses made up with the perscription of my middle lens ..........

Ended up buying a used Fullfiels II 3x9 off of EBay . Have it installed on my new ballard rifleings Marlin .45-70 .

Have not shot it yet .

God bless
Wyr

Another great article! I have used both the Elite 3200 10x40 and the SWFA SS 10x42 with the same experience. I would add the Falcon fixed 10x to the list, I've got buddies that use it with great sucess. Falcon also makes variable power models that could suit guys worried about target acquisition at close range.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Low Priced Long Range Scopes, by Ian McMurchy. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion.

Hello to all
I have just been a member of this forum for 5 mins, and i don,t know where to start

I am in Brantford Ontario and am looking out for a reasonable long range scope, i know very little about these scopes except what i have just read on Cabela,s website

i would be looking at a scope that can be used at distancs of 100 to 400 yards most of the time. This would be mounted on a rem 700 sps

Am i right in thinking i would be getting a better deal by buying on line from a dealer from somewhere in the US,,,,,,,,,,,,never done that yet

Typhoon,
I suggest you check out the major suppliers in Canada for a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X tactical scope, usually find them for under three hundred dollars. This is an excellent scope to enter this long range game with. We shoot it on Barrett .50BMG rifles in the US, takes a well made scope to stand up to that abuse.

Good luck with your decision and entry into this Long Range Hunting sport. It is very addictive.
ian

scopes on a koolade budget

I am going through the same thing (thanks to the deer I missed last year out at 200+ yards dont have a range finder YET with my rem 721 30.06 with a 2-7x30 vx1)I was looking at a zisse conquest 3.5-10x40, with rapid 600 rit., lepuold vxIII 3.5-10x40 with boon & crocket rit.,ended up getting a burris fullfield 3-9x40 all with ballistc plx rit.,had $700.00 in my pocket so $ wasnt the reason it was just more clear FOR ME I saved so cash I took the rest of it and put in to the rifle $500 I had all 3 scopes in my rings so the best thing to do is bring the rifle in and see what U like (if in mn GO to ahlmans or look online at optics best buy )may your powder alway burn and your bullet not melt gun)

Last edited:
best scope

Believe it or not, the best optical glass around is supposed to be in Nikon scopes. Personally I like the zeiss Conquest but it is a very expensive scope. On a side note, I have 3 or 4 Bushnell scopes, a Monarch, a Leupold, a Konus and am going to get a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with one of the new 800 reticles which are superb in ability.

it really boils down to how much you want to spend or can afford.

bob chronister

i HAD THAT SIGHTRON Scope 3x12x42

I am a paper puncher , not a hunter . But you never know what will wander into my line of fire .

Or if you might have to use it for home / self defense . :-(

I like higher magnification scopes , probably more so than a hunter .

Also looking at
SIGHTRON 3-12x42mm SII FULL-COAT MATTE PLEX

From Graf & Sons for $ 199.00

Any one have any info on this scope ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

That scope was crummy piece of ? I couldn't rid my self of it fast enough. Why? It seemed too bright and fuzzy. Not a clear picture. I'd get a Bushnell elite any day over a Sightron.

thought i'd chime in, this article helped me decide on my scope for longer range stuff. i got the 3200 10x40 its been awesome! been shoooting 200, 300, 385, and 500 meters. dial for any one back down back up all good. i wanted to c how much room i had to adjust up and i have 34 moa up from my 100 yard zero! i think thats enough to get to 1000 yards with my .243 win. or i think haven't tried yet. but the scope is a winner for the money!

First post to this site, two questions:
1. Suggestions on an affordable scope to mount on a Savage 111 in 7mm RUM?
2. Comments on the 7mm RUM itself? I was recently on another site and it was getting trashed pretty hard.

I bought three of the Savage 111s in 7mm RUM; one for me and one for each of my sons. At $275 each, NIB, I couldn't pass it up. I'm not a reloader yet, but am looking for a used Rockchucker in good shape (I read the new ones are made in China and the quality has really declined). At $64.00/box, reloading will quickly pay off. I don't want to spend a fortune on a scope, am a "bang for the buck" guy (excuse the pun). I would to push the 500yd envelope. How much magnification do I need to pull that off? Thanks all for the input and recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.