• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Looking for the best hunting flashlight

Havingfun

Wasn't sure where to post this but I am looking for a very high quality, lightweight, handheld flashlight for hunting. It must be rugged, LED, preferably rechargeable and takes batteries. It must also be known for holding a good charge for several hours of constant use. I don't minding spending the appropriate amount of $$ for quality but don't feel like spending a bundle based solely on a name brand.

While we're at it, looking for the same in a good head lamp.

Prefer recommendations from actual owners/users and not the BS that every manufacturer puts out there. I am guessing this is the right crowd to provide an honest opinion.

Thanks,

I was in the same boat as you, I learned to make my own flashlights.
Pretty easy to do if you are interested.
Buy the body, emitter, and pre-made circuit board, a little solder and you're good to go.

I bought this one a couple of years ago:

http://www.eagletac.com/html/g25c2/index.html

got the neutral white color, and it works great. 4 different brightness levels which you can easily select. Check out the U2 vs V3 specs to see which you prefer.

I actually purchased it for car judging, but it works so well that I now take it hunting too.

I love my stream light stinger I've got one for hunting but I'm also a mechanic and have one I use daily. I've dropped it off a semi trailer before and occasionally use it as a hammer if I'm not close to a hammer, I've seen a guy get his ran over by a forklift and it kept working.

I use a First Light Tomahawk MC with the Red/Green LED's. Very compact, very bright white light, 450+lumens on high. Can do High Medium and Low on White, Red, Green & Red/Green which I use should I need to track blood. I have read where these have been used by combat medics and was one of the main reasons I selected it. Now the red/green and each individual red and green are not 450, that is the rating for just the White light. Runs on 2 CR123's. Very compact and very durable. I know you were looking for rechargeable as well, but I guess someone makes CR123 rechargeable cells. I always keep several sets of 123's in my pack as my range finder also uses one. This works very well for me. Your milage may vary :)

I was in the same boat as you, I learned to make my own flashlights.
Pretty easy to do if you are interested.
Buy the body, emitter, and pre-made circuit board, a little solder and you're good to go.
Thanks for the suggestion but the thought of me (a guy who can't even spell "ATM" much less use one) building something electronic that I would have to depend on for safety purposes is quite scary. Interesting concept though.

I use a First Light Tomahawk MC with the Red/Green LED's. Very compact, very bright white light, 450+lumens on high. Can do High Medium and Low on White, Red, Green & Red/Green which I use should I need to track blood. I have read where these have been used by combat medics and was one of the main reasons I selected it. Now the red/green and each individual red and green are not 450, that is the rating for just the White light. Runs on 2 CR123's. Very compact and very durable. I know you were looking for rechargeable as well, but I guess someone makes CR123 rechargeable cells. I always keep several sets of 123's in my pack as my range finder also uses one. This works very well for me. Your milage may vary :)
Very good suggestion. I looked at their product line and at first glance, I am impressed.

If I could have only one light it would be the Wicked Light Headlight. This light exceeds all your requirements except handheld. It is totally adjustable, beam and brightness to 1500+ lumens. Red, green, or white bulbs easily enter changeable. Rechargeable batteries that last. Controls are easy to use. This light gives you the versatility to easily identify small animals at night at 100+ yards.