looking for opinions for a new pack

Bowkill,

Ya gotta understand that the first 2 packs you mentioned are heavy and a bit overbuilt.

Look at Seek Outside for a good game and backpacking combo pack. Granite Gear may make a custom pack for you. They are very ruggedly built.

Eric B.

eric thank you for the direction. I understand those 2 packs have some weight to them, I've been running a gunslinger and a kelty redcloud for several years now and I feel I've just out grown both backs and my hunting culture is beginning to change as well. I am a eastern hunter where the im never more than a 30 ride to a town or 1 mile walk to a stand so the need for me to carry tons of shelter and days worth of food doesn't apply. I head west for 7-10 days a year and some years I don't even get to go. ive always pursued deer and goats in the flat lands but im about to get serious about heading more to the hills in pursuit of elk. car camping and hunting are way less involve than setting out for days at a time with everything on your back so im alittle intimidated by the amount of gear I will need and maybe more intimidated by the gear I may not have at my disposal. I keep feelin like I need the biggest/toughest pack I can get but the price of some of the "elite" packs is a lot to stomach. I may in the long run just bite the bullet and snag a pack that begins with the BIG "K"??? but I do know that the two packs I own just arrent giving me tremendous confidence. thank you all for the imput and please keep it coming

I have several packs, my primary two used for 4 to 5 day hunts, are my Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Kuiu 5200. Both are excellent packs with excellent load and weight carrying ability. The Kuiu is more compartmentalized for equipment but the Mystery Ranch Metcalf has a better pack out ability for game and stronger adjustment straps. Price point is very close $480 for the Kuiu and $525 for the MR Metcalf. I also have the Mystery Ranch Crewcab with lid for a daypack to two /three day hunts. One of the best designs Ive used, great load ability form 2900ci to 5000ci depending on your mission needs. I've searched for 40 years to find an all in one do everything pack, but have yet to find one. Set yourself up based on time (days in field) distance traveled and expected load weight (both starting and returning with possible game). One good long range and a good daypack should set you up. Both the Mystery Ranch and Kuiu packs will hold up to long term use.

Only have experience with one brand, Exo Mountain Gear but I can highly recommend them. A bit on the pricier side, but the quality is outstanding, American made. Can frequently find pretty good deals on used ones in some of the other backpack hunting forum sites if the "NEW" pricetag is too much to chew in one bite.

Last edited:
Bowkill,

I hear you. I'm from Erie, PA and backpacked extensively in the east.

Now that I'm in Nevada I need a bit more gear but I've become a UL backpacker so much of that stuff goes with me hunting.

** The main idea is a light pack that can carry heavy loads. (The "Go in light, come out heavy." concept.)

PACK-> Osprey EXOS 58 W/ aftermarket side pockets
TENT-> Tarptent Moment DW (Double Wall)
SLEEP SYSTEM-> WesternMountaineering Megalite bag (& down jacket sometimes) and Thermarest ProLite mattress. (pants & vest go under this mattress)
COOK SYSTEM-> MSR Whisperlite Universal (white gas mode) 3 cup pot, "one egg" skillet minus the handle, (plastic measuring/drinking cup, plastic bowl fit inside pot), long handle Lexan spoon and tiny Lexan spatula

If I know it will be below 10 F. I take my big Dana Terraplane pack, LL Bean -20 F. sleeping bag and Thermarest Trail Pro mattress. Plus I will wear my Sorel felt pac boots.

Keeping the butchering supplies to a minimum is a challenge.

Eric B.

Thanks again guys for all the feed back. Over the last week or so I think I'm leaning twards the kifaru hunter frame, and pack yet stil unknown. I've beat myself up over the whole ordeal and we'll I just figured it's stupid that I can justify spending 3k on a rifle and optics along with another grand in a rangefinder, and then complain about a pack system to carry it all. I stil haven't taken the plunge but I'm thinking I can split the expense up by purchasing a new frame and then scanning the classifieds for a nice used bag and wait and get a new one. I don't have to buy all at once. I really enjoy all the feedback so keep it coming.
Thanks
Cory

With a Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Stone Glacier pack you can't go wrong. Solid builds, especially if you end up having to pack out an animal solo.

Kuiu makes a very nice pack, but I prefer Mystery Ranch. My finial decision was based upon my ability to get a custom fit, having wider compression straps with locking buckles and their ability to expand to carry weight or compress to be used as a day pack. I use a lot of Kifaru accessories and have found their products to be very well made, I just believe their packs are a little overpriced.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts