Long range places to shoot around Seattle

gimpster

I spent the winter getting my rifle in shape for long range shooting and now I need a place to stretch its legs. I'm still waiting for my membership at Cascade Rifle & Pistol Club and 300 yards is the best I've found so far, but that's not enough of a challenge for me. I'm looking for either a range or an outdoor shooting location where I can stretch this out to 500-1000 yards. I've got some backup plans in Eastern Washington but living in the Seattle area having to make that trip would severely cut down the number of times that I go shooting.

Where do you guys go to practice your long range shooting? gun)

I I have always made the trip to eastern washington to shoot when I lived in west seattle. Cabin creek has power lines to shoot at just off the freeway about a mile. I never had a rangefinder back then but I know you can shoot close to a mile if wanted.
I have 300 through 600 and a 1000 yard target where I live now.

I'm coming up with a couple of hits for Cabin Creek. There's one out on the peninsula, in the Olympic National Forest, and there's one off I-90, near Cle Elum. I'm guessing you meant the latter based on your description. Is that right? The Cabin Creek Sno-Park?

Yes off i90. When you get off the freeway take a right. Then take the first right off the gravel road and fallow it down to the power lines.

Cool, I think I see the place you're talking about. Looks like a good spot, I'll definitely check it out the next time I'm in the area. I'm still hoping someone might have a spot on the west side of the mountains.

west side of the pass, cascade is pretty much it. lots of options once you get over the pass. aside from public land, theres Tri-Cities Shooting Association which has 1000 yards.

I'd read about the Tri-Cities Shooting Association before, it's always just such a long way to drive. :) I was out in Oak Creek last week for elk season and I think you're right about just finding some public land to shoot at. There were several great places to shoot out there to practice both long range shooting as well as wind reading and compensation.

the shooting spot just off of sheep company road north of yakima in the wenas wildlife area is very popular. if you're willing to hike up the side of the mountain you can easily do 1500+ yards.

Washington.

Tony, "Long Range Round Table, pnw" here.

"We" are in the same dilemma.

We use two places.
1. Farm in Selah. Tarkets at 200 yard intervals to 1000.
One gong at 1 mile.
2. Place down by Vader. It's a drive from Seattle, not quite as far from Renton.:)
PeEll is on the way for target and sight verification. Covered and with amazing heaters.
3. Quest this year for more opportunities.

Topaz out.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually living out in Ellensburg now, so there's definitely more opportunities out there. I've been up on Manastash Ridge and taken shots out to 900yds in places that could easily extend as far as you're willing to drive/hike your target. But with the WDFW trying to shut down shooting in the Wenas Wildlife Area, I'm not sure how long that will be an option. I'm guessing the farm in Selah is by invitation only. I need to do some more exploring in the area and find other good backup spots in case they do shut it down.

Lucky you living away from the "West side".0

Sound like we ought to hook up, either way.

I explore on dirt bike and 4x4. Google earth. GPS.

LRRP is also looking for more opportunities, East and West.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.