Level It And Color It Done

ADMIN

Administrator
X-ray just built a new rifle. In his search for the ultimate caliber/rifle combo he has been through many. As a past shooting competitor, he knows what works. Working as a paid hunter, X-ray's real world experience eclipses the fantasy worlds of most.

From .243s to 6mm SLRs, 308s to .338 Normas, 6.5 Creedmoors to 22-243s, his use of and collection of working rifles is extensive. Heck, who needs a .338 Norma to shoot coyotes? X-ray! He called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me of a 708 yard shot he made on a sleeping coyote. That coyote is sleeping deeper now. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Level It And Color It Done, By Les Voth. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited:
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Level It And Color It Done, By Les Voth. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Hello,I have only one problem with the method of use of the stock level.In use the bubble size changes with the temperature,so adjusting the bubble to align with the right side mark is only accurate at the temperature to which it was installed.If you've ever been around precision levels,you will see bubble size change dramatically due to ambient temperatures!That is why there are two sets of lines on a levels cylinder,and you check your zero points by switching the level end-to-end.Just my two cents worth! Thanks!

The rail was the proven level. Two levels were placed on the rail to ensure the same perspective throughout the installation of the level in the stock.

In the field, regardless of ambient temperature, the true level will be with the bubble centered in the level, just as with any other scope or rail mounted level.

This level has been used successfully multiple times per week since its installation, as X-ray's work demands. Yesterday morning he was doing effective cleanup for the fixed-wing aerial coyote shooters just north of here.

Shortly after this level installation we were rock shooting at 700 yards - because we love to kill rocks, big and small - and picking projectile placement was remarkably accurate, even when we switched guns and I shot his.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.