Leupold 2.5-8x36 reasonable range capability

98s1lightning

How far is the expected range of use for a 2.5-8x36 on deer or coyote sized game?

I usually shoot out to 200yds but have tried 300yds once. The duplex covers most of a kill zone sized target at 300 so maybe I will try a Orange paper plate next time I get a chance and see what I see. I figure a paper dinner plate is about 8". I've got some swinging steel I could shoot at too but I want to see groups. The first time I tried shooting 300yds my group would have been on a dinner plate. It was lower than my target but I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed it.

I shoot a 284win 22" barrel.(more like 21.5" actual but not sure what the standard way of measuring barrel length is)

I'd like to practice at longer ranges if its suitable.

I've shot an 8" plate at 300 with a Leupold VX3i 2-8x36. Rifle was a Remington Model 7 Predator 223.

That's as far as I've tried. Pretty sure I did it on 6x and not 8x. It's been a while though. Need to try again.

No help further, didn't have access at the time.

Last edited:
The correct way to measure barrel length is use a cleaning inserted down the barrel on a closed bolt ( empty chamber ) mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle, this gives you the correct length, depending on manufacturer measuring from the muzzle to the action will be approximately 5/8 to 7/8 short of the actual length, I hunt with 2.5 x 8's I've never shot targets at long range but have busted hundreds of gallon milk jugs out to 800 yds, I just don have access to a place where setup and recovery of the jugs is convenient, 760 yds on a bear, and a rag horn bull elk at over a thousand

That's purely personal preference and practice time on the gun. My brother uses a fixed 6x (SWFA) on a 243 for rock hunting out to 1400 yards. It has very fine crosshairs, which helps a ton. But the magnification is all preference and what you're comfy with. Many many old timers used a weaver k4 4x or similar scope for deer out to 300 or 400 with regularity. It was what was available, and with some practice a good shot on a critter is viable at distance.

Is rock hunting a form of western target practice/entertainment?

Shoot a rock instead of setup a target.......
It is a time honored tradition! Often terrain is too rough to be able to set up a target at long range. So, you pick a rock on a safe hill side or a mark on a bluff and shoot at that. It's a great way to practice long range in field conditions, as a good vantage point will give you a variety of ranges to shoot at.

This video is from a spot that has shots from 800 out to 2200 plus. My brother was shooting a tikka 243 with a SWFA 6x at a the top edge of a moss patch on a rock bluff we estimated to be 18" wide by 4' long or so. Range for this shot was 1523.