Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

Hello,

I think the 375/50 from Warner Tool should put on a very good showing at Tonopah...especially if they have the custom designed powder delivered and load worked out with it.
It is already launching the 361gr .375 flatline at about 3700fps :)

THEIS

Hello,

I think the 375/50 from Warner Tool should put on a very good showing at Tonopah...especially if they have the custom designed powder delivered and load worked out with it.
It is already launching the 361gr .375 flatline at about 3700fps :)

THEIS

Theis:
Not quite there. I'm topped off @3550 plus. The brass is way too expensive to make to overpressure. We are close to having the formulated powder, no thanks to NH DOT and the fire marshall's office. . I'll just have to live with supper sonic @ Tonapah out to 3800 or so.

Hello,

O crap, my mistake...I could have sworn Jon told me 3700.
Are reamers available for commercial entity usage yet?
Have you guys "toyed" around with having that case design done out of steel case to get more pressure capabilities?

THEIS

Warners done great job with real short case,

so as to solve pressure problems, little more neck

gets bullet out of powder space more and rounded

shoulder helps...Ed

Hello,

O crap, my mistake...I could have sworn Jon told me 3700.
Are reamers available for commercial entity usage yet?
Have you guys "toyed" around with having that case design done out of steel case to get more pressure capabilities?

THEIS

Assuming you mean Jon O'Neil, his "old" cartridge was the 14.9x102mm SOP. Please tell us more about his .375/50 build.

Theis:
Not quite there. I'm topped off @3550 plus. The brass is way too expensive to make to overpressure. We are close to having the formulated powder, no thanks to NH DOT and the fire marshall's office. . I'll just have to live with supper sonic @ Tonapah out to 3800 or so.

Alan - I looked back a few pages but found nothing about a 375/50. Is the a Warner Tool project or something you are working on for a customer? Please tell us more about this cartridge and the associated rifle. If a WTC project, going to be productized? Thanks.

Assuming you mean Jon O'Neil, his "old" cartridge was the 14.9x102mm SOP. Please tell us more about his .375/50 build.

Hello,
Well aware of what Jon O'Neils cartridge is :)
The new 14.9 rifle coming this fall will be lightened down to 40 pound rifle.

For the 375-50 info, search for thread by Alan about wildcat forming in the ELR section here.
Jon turned over the 375-50 cartridge design to Dan at WTC, they are awaiting custom powder solution right now.

THEIS

Hello,

Here is pic of the 2 side by side.

THEIS 11219.jpeg

Oscar:
The design concept is Jons'. I asked him if it would be OK to transpose it to the 375 and he was most obliging. Made up some estimates of water capacity to increase volume over what the Barrett holds and went to town with tooling. Having had experience from making the tooling for the 14.9 and ending with the rev4 version,(my changes) I hit it on the nose with the 375. Tossed the capacity issue around with Josh and Dan for about a week prior to starting. Water of the Barrett is 215, the 375 Warner is 236.
I've yet to hear from a couple of customers about the Barrett's velocity performance.

I'm working on a customer project that is based on the 50 with an expanded shoulder diameter and 30 degree for a 375 that shows a water cap of 263g. Tooling is done and only a few will be made till we ( the guys heading up the assembly) determine if it needs to be shortened a tad or two. They are just now chambering and readying for pressure tracing.

We have taken a few orders for the 375 Warner and will are producing dies and brass. The reamer is still proprietary so chambering for now is only available here. That may change at some point.

The primary reason I wanted to use a 50 is ignition. I am convinced that the Chey Tac does not have enough primer fire to light it off well. I get SD's in the single digits and ES mostly less than 10-12 with the 375 Warner. And that is with a powder that is not ideal .
Alan

Hello,

Ed....what is case length of your 416 HSM?
Have you test fired it yet, and if so what projectile and MV?

Have you necked it down to 375 yet?

Thanks,
THEIS

Haven't necked it, could be,, But best suited for 416,
If necked to 375 have to machine and thin neck.Case
3.95" long, got about 2 dozen made, improving the forming,
wildcatting process, takes time/ dough with my limited shop
So far just forming load with 350gr over 4000.
Over half made gone to collectors already,
can't refuse them, they been a huge help for my cases....
If I won lottery I'd have Warners, with their good shop
make couple barrels of my bmg brass into them..Ed

Last edited:
Another thing of our 416 HSM is if guy wants 408
and have reamer guy make freebore and lead for that
on the reamer as well as have any freebore they
want on the reamer, whether 416 or 408..Ed

Last edited: