• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Leica 1600-b

Broz,
I would like to be able to take as much guess work out of the equation as
possible. Knowing this, do you think I should go with the terrapin or the G7?

The farther you go out the more important each variable becomes. I too want to be as precise as possible. Wind will be your biggest hurdle. In my opinion the G7 falls a little short in the wind solution area. Just not as precise as reading wind with a Kestrel and inputting it into a good well tuned ballistic app. For this and a few other reasons I choose a Vectronix RF, hand held ballistic app and a Kestrel.

Jeff

I've been running a g7 for 2 years, I also use a wind meter and input into the g7. Inside 1200-1300 yards it's been all I could ask for. Beyond 1400 or so I would recommend the terrapin, the g7 will range a lot farther then 1400 but I loose confidence in the accuracy. I shoot and hunt with a friend that uses a terrapin and we've compared a lot of different conditions, mountains, desert, cold, hot, dark, bright, fog, rain etc... 99 percent of the time and conditions they're spot on for yardage until you get into the +1300 yard range. My g7 ballistics matches my shooter program very well to 1200. I start getting small descrepancies beyond that so I verifly ballistics with shooter beyond 1200. It takes some practice but I'm really glad I have one. We just need vectronixs to add an accurate ballistic program to their range finders and keep the price resonable then the search for the perfect range finder would truly be over

I've been running a g7 for 2 years, I also use a wind meter and input into the g7.

Shane, did they change the G7 to allow you to enter actual wind speed and direction? The ones I used only had a full value wind chart in 5 mph increments. So a 1/4 value wind at 7 mph took a little math. Just want to make sure I am not stating dated info.

Thanks
Jeff

Shane, did they change the G7 to allow you to enter actual wind speed and direction? The ones I used only had a full value wind chart in 5 mph increments. So a 1/4 value wind at 7 mph took a little math. Just want to make sure I am not stating dated info.

Thanks
Jeff

No they didn't change it, you still have to do some math. They should have at least used smaller increments then 5. That's my biggest complaint with the unit. They went through the trouble to put a decent ballistic calculator in it and scrimped on the wind feature.

No they didn't change it, you still have to do some math. They should have at least used smaller increments then 5. That's my biggest complaint with the unit. They went through the trouble to put a decent ballistic calculator in it and scrimped on the wind feature.

Agreed, and Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Jeff

I didn't mean to sound like I was putting an actual wind speed number in, I use wind meter and g7 to get a base figure if you will for wind then adjust using a little math, sorry for confusion.

I have a 1600b, the internal ballistic US3 matched my 300 win mag/200 gr NAB. Plus I have the option of external calculator, the 1600b gives me the temp, altitude & pressure. Leica size is perfect for a pocket. One consideration I looked at was the warranty. When I spend that much, I want a warranty longer than 1 yr. I'm very pleased with the Leica 1600b & saved hundreds for other must needed equipment.