Leica 1000 r Review

dan25

First of all I want to thank everyone on the site for helping me in my search for a laser rangefinder. I had several questions, and was giving some good information that helped me make a decision. I got sick of looking at reviews and trying to find a nice used one. I went to Cabelas yesterday and got there showcase Leica 1000 r for $560. I really wanted the G7 or the Leica 1600b, but couldn't afford the G7 and didn't like the fact that I couldn't use the 1600b for angled bowshots (angle comp doesn't start until 99 yards on 1600b). I liked the fact that the 1000r was a little bit more reasonable and it still has angle compensation from 10-600 yards. Before I bought it, I took a Nikon riflehunter 1000 and Leica 1000 r and compared them side by side. Lets just say, there is no comparison. I hit a silo within .5 second at 1104 yards, building at 904. I tried the Nikon with no return on either. The Nikon seemed to perform pretty good out to about 700 yards. The optical quality of the Leica is superp and fits in your hand nicely. For bowhunting, I could actually get away with using its' 7x power monocular alone. I will do a better review after I get out of work and do some field testing. One thing I did figure out that isn't out in the specifications or overviews on this unit is that when you press the red secondary button once; it gives you your angle in degrees plus or minus. So if your concerned about making a shot past 600 and want to know the true horizontal range you can figure it out by reading the angle from the unit. (very nice and accurate). While the nikon was half the cost, I really like the tight beam divergence of the Leica and consistancy. I'm sure I will buy a G7 some day, for now I am very happy with this little unit. I will follow up. Thanks again for all of the help. Any else try these out or have any feedback?

First of all I want to thank everyone on the site for helping me in my search for a laser rangefinder. I had several questions, and was giving some good information that helped me make a decision. I got sick of looking at reviews and trying to find a nice used one. I went to Cabelas yesterday and got there showcase Leica 1000 r for $560. I really wanted the G7 or the Leica 1600b, but couldn't afford the G7 and didn't like the fact that I couldn't use the 1600b for angled bowshots (angle comp doesn't start until 99 yards on 1600b). I liked the fact that the 1000r was a little bit more reasonable and it still has angle compensation from 10-600 yards. Before I bought it, I took a Nikon riflehunter 1000 and Leica 1000 r and compared them side by side. Lets just say, there is no comparison. I hit a silo within .5 second at 1104 yards, building at 904. I tried the Nikon with no return on either. The Nikon seemed to perform pretty good out to about 700 yards. The optical quality of the Leica is superp and fits in your hand nicely. For bowhunting, I could actually get away with using its' 7x power monocular alone. I will do a better review after I get out of work and do some field testing. One thing I did figure out that isn't out in the specifications or overviews on this unit is that when you press the red secondary button once; it gives you your angle in degrees plus or minus. So if your concerned about making a shot past 600 and want to know the true horizontal range you can figure it out by reading the angle from the unit. (very nice and accurate). While the nikon was half the cost, I really like the tight beam divergence of the Leica and consistancy. I'm sure I will buy a G7 some day, for now I am very happy with this little unit. I will follow up. Thanks again for all of the help. Any else try these out or have any feedback?

i got one...been using it bowhunting and couldnt be more pleased...great size,build....STUNNING optics...i bought a pair of small binoculars to use for bowhunting but with this rangefinder i find myself leaving the binos at home and just using the rangefinder as a monocular....bright red LED display and reads FAST!....my ONLY complaint is the crappy case Leica gives with it....it wont shut without smooshing the front rubber on the lens....gotta search for an aftermarket case.

Hi, Currently looking at one here in NZ. If you would be able to confirm please that this unit gives the LOS distance to the target and angle but not the angle compensated distance i.e - you still need a ballistics program to calculate true horizontal distance? Thanks in advance. Jase

I had one and hated the slow angle comp feature, so I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 and its capabilities are far superior to the leica, although the glass isn't as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.