Layout boats

Greg Duerr

Does anyone have a layout boat .....Im looking at one called the Marsh Rat. In Nevada there is a lot of open low cover areas that demand the use of one, with out it you have no way to hunt.

G

Does anyone have a layout boat .....Im looking at one called the Marsh Rat. In Nevada there is a lot of open low cover areas that demand the use of one, with out it you have no way to hunt.

G
Greg,
Marsh Rats are more of a swamp/ marsh boat being able to paddle. Some have used them as layout boats but I would not. As a matter of fact the majority of everything read or heard about that brand has been bad and would not trust my life with them. I have owned MoMarsh boats and found them to be stable as hell and disappear in cover or open areas with raffia grass and burlap (look like a beaver hut). Another great choice is Aqua Pod I believe there based in N.W. Oregon or Washington. A Carltson (sp?) pintail is a very nice boat to. All of these are easy to paddle and hide well. Momarsh and aqua pod both have factory made doors available that function like a layout blind to hide ya. A true layout boat will not paddle but is a option if you run it out of a big jon boat transport to your hunt area. Then just slip a camo cover over it with straps for Raffia grass and burlap.

Gene

Gene

I really appreciate your info, Momarsh i have not heard of I have looked into the Aqua Pod. I will check out Momarsh. The aqua pods you can paddle like a kyake.
In Nevada we have lots of areas that with out a layout boat you do more watching duck than shooting. The few guys that have them do really really well.
Im getting tired of shooting Teal and Shovlers, my goal is to kill 7 Mallard Drakes this fall and winter and a layout boat is the only way that will happen

G

I might be a little late but the best lay out boats are made by Bankes Boats, I have the 2 Man Revolution and I use it on the open ocean shooting everything from puddles to sea ducks, geese. They sell several and I recommend them, Btw I'm a waterfowl guide
In Mass. Just my 2c.

I have a CoreSound Layout made near Havelock NC. It is a true layout that we use to hunt the big water and a tender boat is required.

One of my buddies has an Aquapod and it is ok except that it has no keel. So, if you need to paddle somewhere it does not track worth a darn.

I have a Carsten's Puddler duck boat thats been hanging in my basement for sale. It's a great boat I just don't use it anymore. Shame we're so far apart.

Cabelas carry's the Beavertail Stealth marsh boats at the Missouri locations. Go find one to lay in and see what is comfortable. I have had homemade fiberglass and wood ones, way too heavy and no gun holders, dry storage boxes, etc. Just bought a 2000, getting ready to grass up this weekend.

My first choice would be a Mo Marsh Fat boy DP, based just north of me. Good product, but about 40% more than what I spent.

Make sure you separate the layout boats and marsh boats, former for Diver hunting open water and later for shallows. You can spend a day on Duck Hunting Chat.com reading all the pros and cons in the boat section.

I have looked at the AQua Pod as it is about $600 and would work for what I need it for ..............Water is about 12" deep with Nut Grass about 8"-10" higher..........................perfect for the Aqua Pod.........Plus out here in Nevada we are in the middle of a really bad dry period no water no rain no snow.............one more dry winter and that's it for Duck hunting out here or for most any other hunting.
Deer season was hot and dry and the area I hunted had NO water ..........springs were dried up and the Deer moved out.

Greg - the Marsh Rat would be perfect for the conditions you describe hunting in. I've had one for about 6 years now and absolutely love it! In fact, bought two more last fall with my brother so that he'd have one and we'd have a spare for buddies to tag along. The only problem with them is that they're not being made right now so your only hope of getting one is finding one used and that's getting tougher and tougher all the time.

Your so right about that.............................I called them last year to order one and was told that because of Family conderns that were not making any at this present time.

That's why I'm considering the Aqua Pod Its light stable enough and is about $750 shipped. Most of the others I have looked at were heavy and expensive.

With the lack of Rain here in Nevada most areas have open water and that means a layout boat.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.