Kids in elk/deer camp

T.Rep

Just relocated to Colorado from south TX. How early did yall start taking the young ones into camp with you? And finally out on the actual hunt? Ive hunted since I was old enough to walk but south TX is much different country than the Rockies so looking for some input on what others have done.

My son was 4 and he would beg me to go on an easier hunt so he could go. Of which I'd pick a hunt I figured he could handle without much help a couple times a week. As time went on he tagged along on longer and harder hunts, even some over night pack trips. Since he was 12 and could have his own tags he has been my main hunting partner. Every day that he could be there we have hunted together. Day hunts, pack trips you name it. We mainly hunt in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in Oregon. And the hunts probably ranged from 2 to 6 plus miles a day. At first I tried to help him out all I could. Now 55 years later he returns the favor and helps me. Take them as quick as possible, as often as you can and try to make it fun. It will be some of the most fun you've ever had. And it will last a lifetime. Good luck

I've done it a variety of ways, and have grown to prefer taking them on hunts they can call their own.

Easy at first prairie dogs, or ground squirrels, somewhere the shooting pace is good. Moving up through hunts that are high opportunity/success.

No real wrong way to do it. I'd probably not take him to elk camp unless he had been on the smaller hunts, and enjoyed it. Maybe hold it back as a reward for doing well on other small hunts.

Just me though.

You don't say how old he is.

Thanks for the good advice guys. My son is 3 and daughter is 1 1/2, wife is dying to go now that she's not preggo. Planning on at least taking them camping this year to slowly get them acclimated. Worst comes to worst we can always pack up and head home.

With the relocation to the Rockies, hunting and camping will be very different from Texas.
Start with camping and some scouting over the summer. not sure where you are looking to hunt or if you have a group that you go with. if it is you and your wife hunting, it will be very tough with young ones.

Many hunts in Colorado, all in the mountains, from Durango to Craig. it is all spot and stalk, never tried using a elevated blind or tree stand.

Just remember once you knock down that mule deer or elk, that is when the work begins. Pick you hunting area wisely

V/R
M.Bird

1st question why did you leave Texas?!

:)

I've never hunted in Colorado but I remember when I was very young 5 or 6 my first hunting trips were squirrels, rabbits, and dove. Something that is relatively exciting, don't have to ruck far, and guaranteed to bag something.

My first deer hunting trip was when I was 9 for reference and then 12 when my dad would let me hunt a stand alone (he was in the woods with me of course).

I have a 6 month old son, so I'm super excited to get out there with him too!!

I've been hunting and fishing with family since before I can remember. I think that is one of the biggest reasons all I want to do is hunt and fish now.

I think the sooner the better and more time in the woods the better.

idcwby

I'm very close to you, I have a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old girl, she will be 3 this December.

I have taken my boy out prairie dog hunting all summer, he loves bringing his bb gun and shooting at them, and it is an awesome opportunity to begin firearm safety. He loves doing it, and I don't have to worry too much because I know he cant cock that red rider bb gun quite yet ha ha. My daughter comes with us, but when we start walking she usually ends up on my shoulders, if she lets me pick her up ha ha....she is very independent.

I plan on taking both of them on my pronghorn hunts coming up later this month, and possibly a couple deer hunts, as long as we don't stray too far off of roads. But on my mountain deer and elk pack in hunt, or any mountain hunt where I cover several miles for that matter....They are staying with grandma. I would love nothing more than to take them, but where I will be hunting has bears, the kind with big humps on their back. And also, navigating through deadfall and steep mountains is a little bit much for either of them. They handle the desert plains pretty well, but mountain timber is too much.

Just take them on as many easy hunts as you can, squirrel hunts along an easy trail, prairie dog hunts, coyote hunts, and things like that. And make it as fun as you can, I notice that my boy works his butt off keeping up with the guys because he is enjoying it so much. And don't forget ear protection for the littles ha ha.

Took my son to muzzleloader camp for the first time last year. He was fourteen. Talked about it ever since and can't wait to go back.
Took him in a deer blind bow hunting when he was five and was very wiggly. Not very productive.

Take them as early and often as they will let you. Time goes fast and soon they may not want to go.

Just get them outdoors. Fishing/camping is a great way to get them into the outdoor sports. Take them shooting. The little cricket .22 are great for the kids to shoot.

I would take mine with for an evening hunt once in a while. But when it came to big game they started making the trips when they were old enough to hunt. Here in MT that used to be 12. They can now take deer at 10. My deal with my kids was always if they were on the honor roll they could come on a week long hunting trip. We would set up a table in the wall tent that they could do their homework on so they did not fall behind at school. My daughter and son are in their 20's now but still plan to go on a trip every year. We will be going to the Missouri Breaks this year all together for a deer and elk hunt.

Have fun

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.