Kestrel LiNK (Connect) Android/iOS

DocUSMCRetired

Kestrel LiNK for Android & iOS
Only compatible with BLE devices (Kestrel 5 Series and Drops)

Note: This is NOT Kestrel LiNK Ballistics, or a Ballistic App.

This is a brief overview of Kestrel Link for Android and iOS. This software allows you to pull data logs, and remotely view environmental readings on your Kestrel Device. It is not compatible with legacy Bluetooth devices. This app is free and can be found here:
You can find links to both versions on our resource page: www.abmediaresources.com

General Information:
This app only works with LiNK & Bluetooth enabled devices. This app has the ability to automatically update the firmware of your device. It also serves the purpose of view/downloading logged information and viewing real time information from your Kestrel 5 and Drop Series devices.

Connect Menu:
When you first start the app you will arrive at the Connect Screen. This allows you to choose a device to connect to. Simply select the device you wish to manage, and it will then take you to the Dashboard.

Screenshot_2015_12_08_17_11_02.png

Dashboard:
From here you can see 3 favorite readings (which you can edit), and then a menu at the bottom. You can place anything you want on the dashboard. From readings, to battery level, signal strength. It really is up to you. You can also share your dashboard via text, email, and other options. You will also see you have a "Show" button at the bottom. This brings up one of 3 menus. I will go over the other two menus later. From here you can go to many different screens, but I will go in order.

Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_34_23.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_17_00_13.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_35_25.png

Readings:
This screen displays all the readings in real time. The "Refresh Rate" can be changed in the settings. The readings it displays depends on the device you are connected to. As you can see in these screen shots the Drop 3 vs the K5 Elite.

K5 Elite
IMG_0039.png
IMG_0040.png
IMG_0041.png

Drop 3
IMG_0037.png

Stats:
This screen shows you High, Low, and Average stats. It also allows you to Export Data Logs, and set the Date Range. By selecting a date range, you can pick and choose the time period you want stats for. It also displays how many data points you have (Data Sets). This screen is great for viewing high/low/average during a selected time period.

Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_49_29.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_49_33.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_48_43.png

Log:
The Log Screen allows you to go through different graphs for different readings. You can set a date range from here, if you wish to reduce the graphs time frame. It also tells you the current data point you are viewing. Use the yellow arrows at the bottom to scroll between readings.

Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_39_40.png

Manage:

This menu allows you to check the status of your device but also manage how it reports. You can see at the top you have your battery level, and signal strength. Then you a couple of sub menus:

Screenshot_2015_12_08_17_10_50.png

Device Name: Allows you to rename your device.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_41_38.png

Manage Live Readings: Allows you to change the interval for the Dashboard/Readings report rate.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_41_41.png

Manage Data Logs: Allows you to set the logging rate, overwrite, clear data, and to export logs.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_43_04.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_43_10.png

Manage Alerts: Allows you to turn on alerts for certain environmental variables, and set set the high low value for that variable.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_43_01.png
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_42_58.png

Disconnect: Disconnects from Device

Forget Device: Removes the Device from the list of previously connected devices/auto connect devices.

Factory Reset: Factory Resets the device.

Device Manual: Downloads that devices manual.

Device Info: Provides important device info like Firmware, Model, Serial#, etc.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_44_48.png

Flash LED: On the Drop 3 you can have it flash the LED so you can locate the device.

Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_47_11.png

Connection Menu:
Found in the upper right, and has 3 dots. Clicking here will bring up a menu of previously connected devices.

IMG_0046.png

Main Meu:
Found in the upper left, this button brings up a list of menu options. Including the Connect Menu, and Preferences.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_17_10_27.png

Preferences: From here you can set the units being used, Auto Connect, Device Power Saving, and Restart Bluetooth.
Screenshot_2015_12_08_16_46_23.png

Hi Doc,
I just upgraded from the old AB Kestrel to the 5700 Elite. Amazing!
I have a few questions.

In the IOS app, what is the difference between "Append to Profile List" and "Overwrite Existing Profiles"?

On the IOS app, under Multi Target Engagements, does that relate to target A-D on the Kestrel? Is there a way to set DOF for the Multi Targets?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Doc,
I just upgraded from the old AB Kestrel to the 5700 Elite. Amazing!
I have a few questions.

In the IOS app, what is the difference between "Append to Profile List" and "Overwrite Existing Profiles"?

On the IOS app, under Multi Target Engagements, does that relate to target A-D on the Kestrel? Is there a way to set DOF for the Multi Targets?

Thanks,
Bill

If you over write, when you sync from the kestrel to the device, it will over write those profiles. If you append it will add to them.

No, that is its own system, where you input individual ranges. Also no on DOF.

If you over write, when you sync from the kestrel to the device, it will over write those profiles. If you append it will add to them.

No, that is its own system, where you input individual ranges. Also no on DOF.

Im having trouble seeing where the end result is different. If u change 1 setting and append, it changes just one setting and leaves the rest alone. If u change the same setting and overwrite it changes all of the setting but won't those settings be the same as if they were not changed since you didn't alter them?

Im having trouble seeing where the end result is different. If u change 1 setting and append, it changes just one setting and leaves the rest alone. If u change the same setting and overwrite it changes all of the setting but won't those settings be the same as if they were not changed since you didn't alter them?

That feature only has to do with transferring profiles from the Kestrel to the Phone. If you transfer a profile and its set to append, then it will add the profiles from the kestrel with an asteric. If its set to over write, then any saved profiles on the phone will be over written when you transfer them from the Kestrel to the phone.

That feature only has to do with transferring profiles from the Kestrel to the Phone. If you transfer a profile and its set to append, then it will add the profiles from the kestrel with an asteric. If its set to over write, then any saved profiles on the phone will be over written when you transfer them from the Kestrel to the phone.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Doc,

I'm having an issue w/ IOS version of KLB & the 5700 when computing holds in KLB.

Example:
On the 5700:
ZR is 100yds
I have multiple targets active.
In Tgt screen, I set TR. For example: 400yds
I back out of the screen.
E reads: 2.02U

In KLB:
I press "Compute Holds"
When finished computing, KLB gives me a 100yd hold of 2.02U (my 400yd hold)
The other ranges seem to show the correct hold.
If I press "Compute Holds" a second time, KLB shows the 100yd hold correctly as: ---

Also, why does my original range (in this case 400yds) in the 5700 change to 100yds after computing holds on the KLB?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Doc,

I'm having an issue w/ IOS version of KLB & the 5700 when computing holds in KLB.

Example:
On the 5700:
ZR is 100yds
I have multiple targets active.
In Tgt screen, I set TR. For example: 400yds
I back out of the screen.
E reads: 2.02U

In KLB:
I press "Compute Holds"
When finished computing, KLB gives me a 100yd hold of 2.02U (my 400yd hold)
The other ranges seem to show the correct hold.
If I press "Compute Holds" a second time, KLB shows the 100yd hold correctly as: ---

Also, why does my original range (in this case 400yds) in the 5700 change to 100yds after computing holds on the KLB?

Thanks,
Bill

Interesting, I will take a look at this.

Interesting, I will take a look at this.

See screen shots below for 2 examples. The error is always on the first input and it is the same Elevation number as another input in the list. It seems to have something to do with how the app sequences through the inputs as I am calculating them.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 148
See screen shots below for 2 examples. The error is always on the first input and it is the same Elevation number as another input in the list. It seems to have something to do with how the app sequences through the inputs as I am calculating them.

You are not interrupting the calculation correct?

You are not interrupting the calculation correct?

No but that led me to the answer. It happens If you compute holds in KLB, then change the range in the kestrel, then compute holds again in KLB. The first time u compute holds after changing the range in the kestrel, the first hold in KLB will leave the old range figure but give you the elevation for the hold that you designated in the kestrel.
If you hit compute holds again, KLB gives you the correct hold for all of the ranges because the kestrel cycles through the KLB holds and ends up showing the first hold.

I'm not sure why you would want to change the hold on your kestrel while using KLB and then go back to KLB but I was familiarizing myself w the system and must have done that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.