Just getting started in reloading

Evedintally this wasn't a good question! Anyway, still like reading all of you posts here it really helps pass the time while working out of town.

A lot depends upon your ultimate goals as far as accuracy. Equipment to produce extreme accuracy will general cost more than just regular accuracy. However accuracy involves not just the loaded round but also the rifle and shooter so precision reloading may not get you many benefits if your rifle is not accurate enough in the first place.

A good caliper, flash hole uniformer, primer pocket cleaner (although for many years I just used a small bladed screwdriver) and a case trimmer.
And perhaps a case tumbler.
VLD chamfer tool.
Set of Hornady bullet comparators.
Concentricity tool

If you are going to get a different manual than the one that comes with it then the Sierra manual has a lot of useful information.

The thing about buying dies is that if you plan on shooting at long range then the more expensive dies with "competition" bullet seaters are helpful.

One resource that is available now that wasn't around when I started reloading is youtube. If you'll go watch a bunch of youtube videos about reloading, you'll better understand the choices that you have available in different equipment.

So what I'm suggesting for you, is to learn as much as you can BEFORE you spend any money. That way when it's time to buy, hopefully you only cry once.:D

Youtube is great! You might also see if there is someone local who might be willing to help you get started..... I read everything I could find, watched on youtube and attended a "hands on" reloading class.... Learned a lot and it really helped when I was doing my first set ups/loads....

Also this forum is an awesome resource..... Lots of experience and great folks that aren't afraid of sharing what they have learned.....

I wouldn't start you with a manual. I would start you off on a very good start with a Book! "Handloading for Competition by Glen D. Zediker. Manuals are full of Raw Data and are almost worthless for the why's and how too's. Book first manual later - gospel

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts