James Calhoon Hunker Mounts CZ 527

Out Back

I see that James Calhoon offers Bases and Rings for the CZ 527 that will lover your scope 1/8" $176 so that your scope sits 1/8 of an inch lower..............seems like a lot Bolt Modification $58 Plus Rings $119

Wondering if it really makes that much of a difference to justify the expense. Other than looks My CZ with the standard factory bases and rings work just fine.

Anyone use them

I've done his modified bolt handle mod, but used lower-than-stock Warne rings (cheaper). But now the 527s come from the factory with (and you can buy from C-Z USA) a handle with a slightly different bend that enables the use of lower ringmounts. Mostly a personal thing; some like the scope lower for (arguably) better cheek weld, or simply don't care for the look of a scope mounted high in the stock rings.

Can you give me the info on the rings you have for your 527 Calhoons rings are pricy at $119
Oh, my. Burris, Warne, and even Leupold C-Z ringmounts shouldn't run much more than half that, at most. I've had Warne and Burris, both rugged and very good; I know for sure the Warnes have the locking lug on the rear ring (maybe all do, but shouldn't be a deal-breaker if not, on a light-recoiling 527.)
Heights vary among brands: stock C-Zs if I remember right are about .500"+ from top of receiver to bottom of scope tube. My Burris mediums - and I believe the only height they now sell - are just a tad less. I found I need almost all that room for a 40mm AO scope bell to clear a varmint weight barrel. In contrast, Warne "mediums" run .425 - more like a low; in fact I used them on my 527 American with the same AO scope as above with no problem (this was rifle with older style bolt handle w/Calhoon mod; my newer Varmint's bolt handle would clear the ocular lense with lower-than-stock rings, but that's where I ran into objective bell clearance with the heavier barrel. Got that? Ha.) Not sure about Leupold's different heights but at one time Midway USA had most non-factory CZ ring height specs on their site; Brownell's sells aftermarket CZ rings as does SWFA that also has a low-price guarantee.
To be safe, I'd measure any ringmounts for height before taking them out of the package in case they have to be returned because the actual height didn't match the stated spec (happened to me). Good luck with your search!

I've talk to James a few times on the phone, he's quite the character to chat with, that is for sure but be forewarned, he definitely has strong opinions about things and isn't one for sugar coating his answers, he pretty much says what's on his mind. I always get a kick out of talking to him. I was going to use a set of his rings on one of my 527's but he only has them for 1in. scope tubes. I was quickly made aware of his opinion with regard to using anything but a 1in. tube scope on a 527 also. lol

Both of my 527's are the Varmint model and they both wear 30mm tube scopes. On my 17 Hornet I used a set of medium Leupold rings but on my 204 I used a pic rail from DIP Inc and a set of low Weaver rings. The comb on these factory walnut stocks is fairly low so I'd recommend using whatever set up gets the scope the lowest it can be without touching.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.PNG
    IMG_0874.PNG
    277 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0793.PNG
    IMG_0793.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 272
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.