IS the 30-378 too much with no brake?

Damo450

Hello all. I have come across a great deal on a Weatherby accumark in 30-378. The gun is new (Not new style stock) and is $1395. I am starting to venture out west more that ever with a NE Mule deer hunt for 2018 and a western KS deer hunt this year (I hope). I'm building points again for AZ elk as I lost all of them when i moved back to Missouri. Anyhow, I have owned a .338, .338 RUM, .300 WBY, and a .375 (still own it) but have never touched off a 30-378. I want to know If there is anyone here who shoots their's with NO BRAKE? I absolutely despise muzzle brakes and won't own a rifle that needs to be shot with one. I don't "mind" shooting off the bench with one, but would really like to avoid using the brake as much as possible. I am a believer of shooting heavy for caliber bullets so I would probably stick with the 200 grain partition or 210 accubond for starters. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice.

450, I've had my 30/378 for 14 years and fired two rounds the first year without the brake just out of curiosity. I'm 6'4" and 230 , but that is way too much slam for me. The brake stays, only comes off for cleaning.

That depends on you.
For me, yep, I wouldn't want to shoot that without a brake.

I agree with you on the brake issue, I have no use for a hunting rifle with a brake.
The big 7's shooting 180's at 3000-3200 in a pack weight hunting rifle with no brake is about all I can handle and maintain accuracy out to 1000, but everyone is different.

450, I've had my 30/378 for 14 years and fired two rounds the first year without the brake just out of curiosity. I'm 6'4" and 230 , but that is way too much slam for me. The brake stays, only comes off for cleaning.

Dosh, this probably answers my question. We are almost the exact size. I did just buy a MKV from a friend as a favor and it's a 7mm R.E.M. Mag. Figure I could punch it out to a 7mm STW and be just as well off. Thanks!!

You are shooting some heavy recoiling rifles already. I am not a big guy, 5'6" 170lbs. My first magnum rifle was a 30-378. I was able to shoot it and other rifles of similar cartridge. I had to mentally prepare for the shot each time. Sometimes in hunting situations shooting prone the scope would get me. I am a free recoil shooter. I fought the idea of a break for years for all the same reasons as stated here. I think you will be able to shoot it fine. It will probably never be the rifle you take out for plinking. I personally really like the big 30 cals. I think they give the best vel for bullet weight and bc in a carry weight big game rifle.

I finally got tired of the punishment and now shoot and hunt with a break. I like a break on everything bigger than 6.5mm now. They are just so much easier to shoot. I carry ear plugs while hunting now and do so with unbreaked rifles as well. They are loud too. I never shoot an unbreaked rifle at the range without hearing protection, doesn't seem like a good idea just because the target is alive.

Steve

I would not pull the trigger on a 30-378 without a brake, I won't do it on almost anything anymore, I despised and loathed brakes till I figured out the obvious that brake or no brake I was doing significant damage to my hearing, I now protect the valuable hearing I have left and enjoy shooting anything I want, I'm not an old guy either and my hearing got to the point that one ear would just shut of with a gun shot while hunting, major wake-up call!!

I would not pull the trigger on a 30-378 without a brake, I won't do it on almost anything anymore, I despised and loathed brakes till I figured out the obvious that brake or no brake I was doing significant damage to my hearing, I now protect the valuable hearing I have left and enjoy shooting anything I want, I'm not an old guy either and my hearing got to the point that one ear would just shut of with a gun shot while hunting, major wake-up call!!

+1

The 30/378 Accumarks produce 55 to 60 ft/lbs of recoil depending on the load with 200 grain bullets.
With the Accubrake it is in the neighborhood of 28 ft/lbs of recoil (About 51% reduction).

As bigngreen said, you need to wear hearing protection anyway so the muzzle brake can make a big difference in the amount you can shoot the big 30 and it will probably make the rifle and shooter do better.

The best brake we tested brought recoil down to 16.6 ft/lbs of recoil, so you have some options if the recoil is still harsh.

J E CUSTOM

Brake hating is silly. Beat the heck out of yourself and shoot less accurately if you wish I guess.

Brake hating is silly. Beat the heck out of yourself and shoot less accurately if you wish I guess.

I agree! Give your shoulder a BREAK and use a muzzle BRAKE. No need to beat yourself unnecessarily. Being able to spot target on impact is PRICELESS.

If noise level or increased muzzle blast is the reason for not taking advantage of what muzzle brakes has to offer, they're pricey but suppressor is another option if legal on your state.

Quick situations don't always allow for ears. A few shots a year without hearing protection isn't going to hurt you. One shot with a big magnum rifle with a brake probably will. It depends on how you hunt. It's not just your safety to be concerned with, but the others around you as well. This is why I don't care for a muzzle brakes on medium weight rifles. I hunt with my wife and kids on a regular basis and I'm not going to risk hurting them, or passing a shot on nice buck because I'm trying to shoot a giant magnum rifle at a deer or elk inside 1000.

Don't get me wrong, I have several rifles with brakes and do occasionally hunt with them, but I only use the big guns with brakes for hunting if that is the specific set-up I'm going for. My 280ai is my go to, 10lbs, no brake, and have taken elk out to 890 without issue and my daughter can shoot it just fine.

I completely understand why the op doesn't want a gun with a brake. That being said, a 30-378 probably isn't the best option for that.

Quick situations don't always allow for ears. A few shots a year without hearing protection isn't going to hurt you. One shot with a big magnum rifle with a brake probably will. It depends on how you hunt. It's not just your safety to be concerned with, but the others around you as well. This is why I don't care for a muzzle brakes on medium weight rifles. I hunt with my wife and kids on a regular basis and I'm not going to risk hurting them, or passing a shot on nice buck because I'm trying to shoot a giant magnum rifle at a deer or elk inside 1000.

Don't get me wrong, I have several rifles with brakes and do occasionally hunt with them, but I only use the big guns with brakes for hunting if that is the specific set-up I'm going for. My 280ai is my go to, 10lbs, no brake, and have taken elk out to 890 without issue and my daughter can shoot it just fine.

I completely understand why the op doesn't want a gun with a brake. That being said, a 30-378 probably isn't the best option for that.

Just wanted to clear up the perception that muzzle brakes are louder than un braked rifles. "THEY ARE NOT"

There perceived sound/noise is, but not the decibels. While testing brakes we also tested DB to see what the difference was. We placed the DB meter directly behind the shooter to measure what the shooter was exposed to. The results were surprising. The highest DB reading we encountered was
108 Decibels. This was an un braked rifle. The lowest we encountered was 105 Decibels and that was with a brake installed. Interestingly, The DB meter showed higher levels of sound/noise on the un braked rifles. So much like a car horn, if you stand in front of it, (Not a good idea with a rifle, Ha Ha) It is louder than if you stand beside of it even though the horn produces the same decibels of sound.

Some brakes directs the sound out or backwards towards the shooter increasing the perceived sound
but not increasing the actual decibels of sound (Volume).

80 to 85 Decibels is considered to be the safe level to work in continuously anything over 100 Decibels is not even momentarily safe and can cause permanent damage.

105 to 108 doesn't sound like a wide range, but it is. For every Decibel of sound increase, the DBs
go up by a factor of x10 (106 DB is 10x louder than 105 DB)

I am not trying to push brakes because they can actually lower the Decibels, but warning that ether way a rifle should not be fired without hearing protection. With or without even one time can permanently damage your ears because of the intensity.

Ask any of the older shooters and they will tell you how they have lost hearing doing this. So even though some think that brakes are louder, they are not. Testing has proven this to even me (A strong believer that brakes were louder Before testing.

Believe it or not some brakes produced the same levels of sound as the un braked rifles but none of the braked rifles produced more decibels that the un braked rifles , and flash hiders consistently
did better than un braked rifles and some muzzle brakes.

So just because someone has said that brakes are louder and don't want to use them, it is not a reason to shoot the rifle without hearing protection. Ether way, Save your ears.

Just trying to save some young ears.

J E CUSTOM

Just wanted to clear up the perception that muzzle brakes are louder than un braked rifles. "THEY ARE NOT"

There perceived sound/noise is, but not the decibels. While testing brakes we also tested DB to see what the difference was. We placed the DB meter directly behind the shooter to measure what the shooter was exposed to. The results were surprising. The highest DB reading we encountered was
108 Decibels. This was an un braked rifle. The lowest we encountered was 105 Decibels and that was with a brake installed. Interestingly, The DB meter showed higher levels of sound/noise on the un braked rifles. So much like a car horn, if you stand in front of it, (Not a good idea with a rifle, Ha Ha) It is louder than if you stand beside of it even though the horn produces the same decibels of sound.

Some brakes directs the sound out or backwards towards the shooter increasing the perceived sound
but not increasing the actual decibels of sound (Volume).

80 to 85 Decibels is considered to be the safe level to work in continuously anything over 100 Decibels is not even momentarily safe and can cause permanent damage.

105 to 108 doesn't sound like a wide range, but it is. For every Decibel of sound increase, the DBs
go up by a factor of x10 (106 DB is 10x louder than 105 DB)

I am not trying to push brakes because they can actually lower the Decibels, but warning that ether way a rifle should not be fired without hearing protection. With or without even one time can permanently damage your ears because of the intensity.

Ask any of the older shooters and they will tell you how they have lost hearing doing this. So even though some think that brakes are louder, they are not. Testing has proven this to even me (A strong believer that brakes were louder Before testing.

Believe it or not some brakes produced the same levels of sound as the un braked rifles but none of the braked rifles produced more decibels that the un braked rifles , and flash hiders consistently
did better than un braked rifles and some muzzle brakes.

So just because someone has said that brakes are louder and don't want to use them, it is not a reason to shoot the rifle without hearing protection. Ether way, Save your ears.

Just trying to save some young ears.

J E CUSTOM

I must be an old shooter. :D I now try to use hearing protection for hunting regardless of the brake or not. Sometimes the shot comes before I can get it on.

What are your thoughts on the concussion with or without a brake? My understanding is that the hearing damage is caused by the concussion not the loudness. Don't know if there is truth in that or not.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.