• Browning X-Bolt

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Tikka T3 (not lite)

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 28 47.5%

• Total voters

ishootkittens

Hey everyone.. its been a loooong time since i have been on a forum, but I figured you guys would be able to help me in more ways than a "proffessional shooter".

Im looking for a .270win ((not wsm, ammo is way to expensive and I live in mountainous VA so I wouldnt have too shoot over 300 yards! And finally I reload my own ammo so after reading Ive found that the .270win is a little less difficult to reload)). I reallly like the Vanguard Sub-moa, the Tikka T3, and the Browning X/A bolt. Not a fan of the rem or winchester rifles. The pre-64 ones are okay.. but as for remington, i dont want something going off when i touch the bolt :rolleyes:.

This will actually be my first high powered rifle. It sounds weird because im 20 years old but ive always hunted with my shotgun and I have killed plenty of deer. (Did i mention that is all I will be hunting, besides the occasional coyote and hopefully a black bear if I can outsmart that bastard!) I am no stranger to recoil because I shoot brenneke black magics and 3.5in turk loads out of my shotgun year 'round. I just toook 2 deer with my buddies .300win so like I said, not afraid of recoil. (not a tactical junkie, not worried about the gov or terrorists taking over leaving me to lead a one man army to vanquish opposing force.:D), Im just looking for a reliable, ACCURATE, hunting rifle.

I chose the .270 because ammo is cheap and the ballistics are NICE with a flat tragectory. Notice I capitalized ACCURATE. I know that my definition of accuracy may be allittle twisted (coming from someone who has used slugs for the majority of hunting), but actually I have had groups TOUCHING at 80 yards with the Brenneke black magics with a smoothbore benelli supernova.

But i would like the accuracy of my deer rifle to have an average grouping of an inch or even 1.25 inches. I plan on toping whatever I get with a leupold so at least the optics will be reliable. But i really need some help choosing.

I really want something with an adjustable trigger, a 24" barrel, camo or wooden stock (i dont really like black anything), and something with a nice bolt. Guys I know this post is long and I really appreciate your time! thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies! PEACE!

The Tikka is a good rifle.

Does not sound like you plan to outfit it with a bunch of add ons due to geographic location and end use so of those mentioned, I would choose Tikka, then vanguard....

Although the Savage Long Range Hunter (unfortunately a black rifle)in 6.5-284 would be a sweet rig as well and if you chose you could hunt a cornfield and reach out and touch them....but in reality you can do that with the 270 as well.

Didn't mention savage. I would say an accutrigger savage will meet all your critera. Easily group under an inch at 100 if you feed it ammo it likes. Also nice and light.

As for caliber, if your set on 270, go for it, most guys on the site prefer either 6.5s or 7s for far superior ballistics (with factory offered bullets, I know I know, the 169.5gr Wildcat is amazing).

Where in VA are you located/hunting? I have been thinking about checking out the western end of the state's public lands for LR hunting in the mountains. However I'm not too familiar with the enviroment there so if you send me a message with what your experience is, that'd be great.

I would go with the Vanguard Sub MOA over the Tikka for a few reasons. The Tikka action has a few plastic parts which I dont care for. There are a lot more after market accessories and options available to the Van Guard and any ring base or rail system that fits a Rem (or Howa) will fit the Vanguard. Both have easily adjustable triggers. If you ever want to customize your rilfe inthe future, the Vanguard will be a much friendlier platform to do so.

And finally.... the Vanguard comes with a factory fired target with real bullet holes and not just a worthless accuracy guarantee from Beretta. Believe me, I know how worthless their accuracy guarantee is.

Good shooting,

-Mark

Thanks everyone! And believe me.. i hate beretta but i figured id throw their plastic Tikka in there because ive heard sooo many things about it!

I dont plan on putting any add-ons on the rifle. Especially those stupid limbsavers! I think they are so ugly!:cool:

But Savage is one I didnt mention, probably because I forgot... lol my buddy has a savage and he loves it... it is an older model but he has never complained.

I have two questions. I have also heard about the 169.5 wildcat. (what caliber is it? and why is it so nice?)

ohh and as for the 6.5's and 7's... honestly.. which is better in terms of accuracy? Sorry if I sound inexperienced... but I am!

My vote is also for the Weatherby.

2 Reasons: My dad has got a couple of Weatherbys and they both shoot pretty decent with out any mods and factory ammo and cheap scopes. Also, a Timney trigger can be easily installed in one.

Maybe a Stiller.

Your user name is very obnoxious. Would suggest changing it.

Last edited:
I prefer Weatherby. Very beefy smooth action, decent stock, recoil pad, 24 inch barrel. Even with the standard Vangard, odds are good it will easily shoot sub moa with handloads. I think Weatherby is no longer doing the factor shot test targets. Although, some dealers probably still have some in stock with the test target.

The Tikka is also a great value and they are usually very tight shooters. The trigger on the Tikka is excellent, and will adjust to lower poundage than the Vangard. Three pounds on the Vangard is about as low as it will go without surgery. If you shoulder both rifles back to back, the Tikka will feel pretty light and wispy compared to the Vangard. I prefer a little more weight in the rifle for stability and recoil reduction.

A Savage is more than equal to the above in performance, I just don't like the looks or feel of the Salvage action. Oooops, I misspelled Savage. Just kidding all you Savage lovers.

Just to confuse ya a little more lets throw CZ into the mix=Accurate and the best factory trigger your gonna find! If your only shooting to 300yards calibars and bullets are not as much of a factor as your ability to shoot it off-hand?
Cut my teeth on a slug gun but for all but heavy timber any rifle is better.

I use the same username and password for every forum ive ever been on.. it is obnoxious.. but people remember the name easier.

The CZ... havent heard much about that lately. Ill have to do some research on it.

I really like the Vanguard for the reasons mentioned.. but for the msrp.. i want to know im getting what I pay for, I appreciate the input from everyone! I hope I can make the right choice...

I would go with the Tikka, I own several Tikka's T3 Lites, in various calibers, if your hunting in the hills or mountains they are a pleasure to pack due to their low weight (sold my 270WSM Vanguard due to that reason), all the Tikka's shoot under 1 MOA and some half of that, have a super smooth action and a good adjustable trigger, 70 degree bolt throw which gives ample scope clearance and quick follow up shots. Norsky

I load 270 and 270wsm and they are not very different to load. My hunting load with the 270 is a 130VLD with 64.8g of Magpro at around 3180fps...the 270 wsm shoots the same 130VLD at 3320fps with 75g of Magpro. Same primers, same bullets and powder, different dies is all.

The Savage is a hard to beat combo but in my case I would probably get a Model 70 or M700. I have a WalMart Model 70 I use for hunting elk in 270wsm that will shoot moa with handloads after an hour or two of tinkering. Bought it on closeout for 320$. It makes me wonder why I bought a Kimber.

The Tikka and Weatherby's are nice but I would rather spend money on something made in America.

Its amazing how no one has even leaned toward the browning. lol after doing alot of research, I was actually going to go with the browning. You see I had never even heard of a Tikka before I joined this site or a CZ for that matter. I have always heard great things about winchester and browning but never shot one.

I love the browning .270wsm with a 23" barrel, in mossy oak camo, with dura-touch and inflex recoil pad. I also like the X-style mounts and rings. But I want to thank everyone for their input and I hope I can make the right decision when the time comes.

Its amazing how no one has even leaned toward the browning. lol after doing alot of research, I was actually going to go with the browning. You see I had never even heard of a Tikka before I joined this site or a CZ for that matter. I have always heard great things about winchester and browning but never shot one.

I love the browning .270wsm with a 23" barrel, in mossy oak camo, with dura-touch and inflex recoil pad. I also like the X-style mounts and rings. But I want to thank everyone for their input and I hope I can make the right decision when the time comes.

If it helps, I like the Brownings. I think they have terrific fit and polish. The two that I have had experience with were very good. One was a solid moa rifle and the other is a very good 1/2moa rifle.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.