ill join the clan if i can model 70 custom

tdean

well like all my projects it cost more and if i had to do over again i proably would get a stiller or rem 700, but i did learn allot!

win model 70 controlled round feed in 7mag
( this action has a smaller ejection port than their stw factory guns i have to believe)
also controlled round feed has the ejector in the back of the action that pops up when the bolt is pulled back. ( making even less room for these long rascals in the mag box)
I attempted to install a wtatts mag box but could never get it to feed right with the factory follower. Im no smith just a redneck with a dremel tool. I ended up getting a bottom metal from cdi precision , and an aics 338 lapua mag. i cut the bevels out of the mag and it feeds stw like a champ. I was still limited on oal with the aics mag. Luckally for me the berger 168 classic hunter has a ogive that is far enough forward to allow me to get .020 off and still feed in mag. And luckally for me its a very forgiving bullet and shoots well. 81 retumbo @ 3200 27" tube , hot load but rem brass will take it for a good 3 times which is good for a wheatfield deer gun i dont plan to shoot much. after i played with the feeding i sent it to smith.

specs
win 70 action controled round feed bluepinted
27" # 4 fluted benchmark with vias micro
mcmillan a3 sporter pillar bedded
timney trigger
talley ultralights
vortex pst
cdi bottom metal
aics 338 lap mag
cerakote graphite black

theres something cool about a winchester and its different

pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 19
You can certainly do it. Call Snowy Mountain Rifles or Montana Rifles.

Look at the Montana 1999 action while you're at it, it is a custom beefed up version of the Model 70.

I have three STW's right now, two on Mod 70 90's versions of the pre 64 and one Remington. I'm going to be adding another built on the Montana action this year.

Welcome to the group. I have Winchester Model 70 Laredo Sharpshooter that is a tack driver. Great rifle.

Your rifle looks nice, and glad to know that you were able to get everything worked out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.