Identify Merkel 16g side by side?

Marplot

16g sxs Merkel with extra barrel. Just won this on an auction. Description date is 2004. Serial number 481486. I don't have it in hand, just some pictures from the seller. I'd like to know model number.

Here are auction notes.
Built with blued steel barrels featuring a single brass bead sight on the matted concave solid rib which is marked with a gold "1" at the base, standard markings, 2 1/4 inch wedges of scroll engraving at either breech, front sling swivel, import mark under the forend, 2004 dated German proofs, choke constrictions of .005/.024 inches, and 2 3/4 inch chambers with automatic ejectors. The barrels are mated with an attractive coin finished sidelock action which displays extensive near full coverage scroll engraving that extends to the toplever, both tangs, and the triggerguard where it surrounds a gold "HB" monogram. The gun features bushed firing pins, cocking indicators, gold plated double triggers, and a tang mounted manual safety. The gun is fitted with a beautifully figured and multi-point checkered forend with engraved fittings and a straight grip stock with rear sling swivel and leather covered recoil pad. Included is a second matching set of 28 inch 16 gauge barrels with a gold "2" at the base of the rib, its own forend, and .003/.014 inch choke constrictions. Also includes a wood and leather takedown case that houses the set. Stock measurements: 1 1/2 inch drop at comb; 2 1/2 inch drop at heel; 14 1/4 inch length of pull; weight 6 lbs. 7 oz.

Rating Definition:
Excellent overall, retaining 99% original blue and coin finishes with minor handling evidence and sharp checkering on the stock and forend. The extra barrel set is excellent. Mechanically excellent.

Notes from an earlier auction
28in. nitro barrels with raised tapered matt rib gold-inlaid '1' at the breech end, the tubes with deeply carved acanthus scroll detailing, 2 3/4in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 and 1/2 choke, fore-end with Deeley & Edge patent release catch, internally gold marked '1';
28in. nitro barrels with raised tapered matt rib gold-inlaid '2' at the breech end, the tubes with deeply carved acanthus scroll detailing, 2 3/4in. chambers, bored approx. imp. cyl. and 1/4 choke, fore-end with Deeley & Edge patent release catch, internally gold marked '2';
treble-grip action with side-clips and side-bolsters, manual safety, cocking-indicators, gold-washed triggers, profusely engraved with fine Germanic scrollwork and with beaded bordering, bright finish, the trigger guard gold-inlaid with a monogram 'HB', 14 1/4in. highly-figured stock with sling swivels and including 3/4in. leather covered recoil pad, weight 6lb. 7oz., in a case with provision for both sets of barrels

Attachments

• 89541_view 08_08.jpg
    89541_view 08_08.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 22
  • 89541_view 04_04.jpg
    89541_view 04_04.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 89541_view 03_03.jpg
    89541_view 03_03.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 22
  • 89541_view 05_05.jpg
    89541_view 05_05.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 1.png
    1.png
    218 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.png
    4.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 5.png
    5.png
    453.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 89541_view 02_02.jpg
    89541_view 02_02.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 22
it looks mostly like a 447SL

nevermind, didn't read the comments just the first post.

trying to remember how they set those locks up without multiple pins.

they're solid guns and that greener crossbolt is as solid as they come. I used to love Merkel but they've pretty much dropped all service in the US after steyr quit working on them

Beautiful gun. I would think it to be a 447sl as it checks the boxes from what I know, but like I said, from what I know.

I just noticed above you thought you found it. I did not see that post.

Last edited:

Recent Posts