Idaho Panhandle-B

ObiWanKannoli

Well, I've gotten a non-res tag for panhandle B and need some guidance. Looking for some guidance and insight from those who live or have hunted this region of Idaho. I understand super steep terrain, thick gnarly woods, lots of stuff with fur and teeth. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Have both bow and any weapon licenses, haven't yet decided what I want to do in that regard.

i cannot help at all but i would say depending on what gmu that you plan to hunt you may be able to get a reduced bear tag plus you could buy a wolf tag just in case you cross paths.
I did grab a wolf tag, bear I'll be leaving alone on this trip unless they want to get western in camp. We got in contact with a local hunter who can't get out this year and has given us some direction in 1 and 4, but TBD if we'll end up there.

If it is unit 4 all I can say is if you flattened Shoshone county out it would be twice as big. In 30 year I think my farthest shot is 200yds. Hunt slow 90 % of my game was shot under 75yds. It is a brush hole if you can pick the thickest hole and work your way in
Just in unit four I can think of a Dozen spots that never get hunted after the first week. It's fun brush hunting.
Through my 30's til early 50's I averaged 8# weight
Loss from the start of rifle through the end of Muzzle
Loader season. Get in shape.

If it is unit 4 all I can say is if you flattened Shoshone county out it would be twice as big. In 30 year I think my farthest shot is 200yds. Hunt slow 90 % of my game was shot under 75yds. It is a brush hole if you can pick the thickest hole and work your way in
Just in unit four I can think of a Dozen spots that never get hunted after the first week. It's fun brush hunting.
Through my 30's til early 50's I averaged 8# weight
Loss from the start of rifle through the end of Muzzle
Loader season. Get in sha
i don't want to get this post off topic, i've been thinking of trying to go for spring bear in the reduced tag area ideally around CDA or north. if you have any input i would appreciate a DM.

Well, I've gotten a non-res tag for panhandle B and need some guidance. Looking for some guidance and insight from those who live or have hunted this region of Idaho. I understand super steep terrain, thick gnarly woods, lots of stuff with fur and teeth. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Have both bow and any weapon licenses, haven't yet decided what I want to do in that regard.
I have some experience hunting Unit 6 in the Panhandle. I will say that if you are accustomed to being on foot, you will likely not see another human being. Many, as it seemed to me and my hunting partner, stay on logging roads in their side by sides or trucks. Not that you can't find/see elk that way but you limit your odds, in my humble opinion.

Find a few spots using OnX or Google Earth and dive into the off the beaten path a bit to find your honey holes. Look for areas which cannot be easily accessed from the road or rather, visualized from the road, and look for areas of transition... possible feeding areas (nighttime) and then areas where the elk may go to bed during the day. We were able to find one such location and saw elk every day along with moose. When cow season opened on 10/15 we were able to capitalize on knowing an area intimately.