I have booked an Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear Hunt

Totch94

I have recently booked an Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear Hunt for May 2018 with Ron Warren of Alaska Guide Service. We will be hunting near Yakutat. I am trying to assemble my gear list and start preparing for the adventure. I have a .338 Remington Ultra Mag that I will be carrying and plan to load up some Barnes 280 grain LRX bullets.

I'd love any input possible from those of you who have Alaskan experience as to list of gear that you consider must haves, clothing and boots for May in Costal Alaska. Any and all advice and recommendations are very appreciated. This is something I have dreamed of doing my entire life and I want to be as prepared as possible.

My next 16 months will be filled with getting in shape and doing a LOT of shooting to make sure I'm ready when the moment of truth arrives.

Thanks!

Totch94

Congrats,
You will have success in Yak. great bear country. I've spent some time in Yak and have yet to be there when we didn't see bears. Prepare for rain everyday, that's SE Alaska. Good rain gear, good water tight hiking boots, and a good skinning knife... You'll need it. any clue where you'll be hunting? I've been out on the Yana and Italio rivers a fair bit and both areas are loaded with large brownies. Yak is good as well for beach trolling for bears.
Good luk and smoke a good onegun)

Congrats,
You will have success in Yak. great bear country. I've spent some time in Yak and have yet to be there when we didn't see bears. Prepare for rain everyday, that's SE Alaska. Good rain gear, good water tight hiking boots, and a good skinning knife... You'll need it. any clue where you'll be hunting? I've been out on the Yana and Italio rivers a fair bit and both areas are loaded with large brownies. Yak is good as well for beach trolling for bears.
Good luk and smoke a good onegun)

Thanks. I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity. I think we are going to try to be in the area a few days early and do a little fishing. I have never been to Alaska but it is a lifelong dream.

I'd love any input possible from those of you who have Alaskan experience as to list of gear that you consider must haves, clothing and boots for May in Costal Alaska. 4

The boots I use are Solomon 4D GTX 2 boots. I would call these mid weight boots. They are waterproof and light. Worth a look.

For clothing, I've become a Kuiu fan boy. I love the attack pants, they are a dream to hike in and loaded with features. I use the Helly Hansen Impertech rain stuff. Stay away from goretex, unless you like being wet.

I also started using trekking poles, as does everyone I hunt with in Alaska. I use the black diamond trail back. In a pinch, they double as shooting sticks. They really help when you are packing game out on uneven terrain.

The one thing I keep forgetting to bring is a light pad to throw on the ground to sit on. Everything is wet in AK.

I've settled on my .338 RUM loaded with 280 gr Barnes LRX Bullets. I had brief thoughts of upgrading to a .375 but I shoot this rifle so well I hate to mess with success. I have killed two black bears and 13 African Plains game animals with it. I'm also taking it on a combo Mule Deer and Elk Hunt this fall for a little more practice before the trip to Alaska.

What kind of experience have any of you had with the 280 Barnes LRX Bullets?

Have hunted Alaska several times including brown bear twice. My suggestion is to ditch the waterproof boots all together and go with a pair of breathable waist waders and non-felt soled wading boots. If you want to sit down on wet ground, fine, need to bust across a creek to get somewhere, you are ready. You won't be doing any serious mountain climbing and the wading boots are comfortable.
Take 2 rain coats. 1 that is breathable for when you are walking and a Helly-Hansen Impertech Guide Coat (goes down to about your knees) for when you are sitting. You can literally have rain the entire hunt. If it is breathable, it will eventually leak/wick through but nothing gets through the Helly Hansen but you don't want to walk in it, you will sweat to death.

A 338 is plenty of gun. I used a 250 g Partition and was one and done straight down on both of my brown bears. Shots went through and through. Your guide will probably be carrying a 375 or larger if you get into a pickle and need DLP backup.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 232
What c-ne-elk said is good advice. I use a pair of Simms wader pants as my choice when it comes to hunting the coast. I have never hunted SE, but it is wet country and the only thing that will keep you dry guaranteed is vinyl. Either Helly Hansen or Grundens are a main stay up here. The only problem is the stuff doesn't breath. Also with waders make sure they are vibram soled as felt is illegal up here now. As long as you have a place to dryout every night I think the Kuiu rain gear will hold up fine, I use the Yukon jacket for everything. That Barnes LRX will do the job just fine. Just remember to break the front shoulder or shoulders and keep shooting til the bear is down and out. I wouldn't want to be chasing a wounded bear in the jungle which is SE Alaska. Congrats on your hunt and bag a big one.

Reuben

another + on the Impertech. rubber will keep you dry from the outside which is the main concern. Your 338RUM will do the trick, I killed both my Alaska brown bears with a 338WM loaded with cup and core 250gr bullets. That 280gr will surely hammer them. Think about the wading pants and a good pair of boots that fit over the wading foot. The boots may get wet but you won't know it. I've worn 10in hunting boots and 80% of the time they're ok, but the other 20% gets your socks wet. Good glass is a must, you'll spend a lot of time behind them and cheap glass will give you a headache that can't be described. Wool layers are also a good idea, obviously stay far away from cotton if at all possible. good luck and shoot straight.

Touch, how did your hunt go? Sorry to bump a 4 year old thread, but I'm booked with Ron for this fall and couldn't find anything after this thread. Thanks

I actually had some complications arise and was unable to go on this hunt, however, my brother in law went without me. He had a wonderful time with Ron and killed a huge bear. He had nothing but kind things to say about the hunt, Ron and the territory. I would highly recommend a hunt with him based on my brother in law's experience. Good luck!

Sorry that you didn't make it, but sounds like your brother in law's trip was great. I heard a good feedback from another guy this weekend, and booked it. Thank you for letting me know!