I drew a Shoulder elk hunt Montana??

Brasher

guys! Me and a group just drew a SHOULDER elk hunt in Montana 004-00
Wow! Really happy but now I need to find private land to hunt? there are a few provided numbers to call but.. any insider info would help.. there are 6 of us.. we were trying for general cow elk tags.. this was a surprise not sure if it's good or bad yet.. lol
I like that the window is MUCH larger..
Is this good or bad? Anyone have any insight or contacts in 004-00?? Almost looks like a depredation hunt to me.. and I'm just trying to do a meat hunt so perfect! ??

They are hunts before and after general season try to bring the numbers down and in some area to try to keep the herds pushed up.

It's a season created by a bunch of politicians that don't give one rusty cent about science based biology - a really true fluster cluck to appease some well healed ag interests. 90 plus degrees and the start of the rut and our season is open already and for additional 6 months. They won't be happy till every elk is gone.

The shoulder seasons have worked well here, normally there are already 500-1000 head already down in the pivots by now and none have shown up. We have more elk than you can shake a stick at, there are units here that there are hundreds of elk killed in that didn't have elk 40 years ago but piles of deer, now low mule deer numbers. The elk have moved into and destroying the mule deer habitat mainly the mountain mahogany. Then you have the fact that elk are down on grounds later than they ever have which does effect our brucellosis status and frankly cattle pay the bills not the extra elk!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts