HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

This is JIM aka: Trueblue, and mine is mailed out as well.
Looking forward to hunting with my friends !
Dang, guys wish i would of read this earlier. I currently have 3 points for Wyoming couildnt imagine another Rbros riflr there.
Mike

Not sure of regulations on Wyoming however in Colorado you must have at least .27 cal or bigger. I use a 6.5X284 for my long distance shooting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Legal firearms in per Wyoming G &F are:
Big and Trophy Game
Legal firearms for BIG or TROPHY GAME must have a barrel bore diameter of at least 23/100 of an inch and be chambered to fire a centerfire cartridge not less than two inches overall length including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal depth; or a muzzleloading rifle which has a barrel bore diameter of at least 40/100of an inch and a charge of at least 50 grains of black powder or equivalent (Pyrodex), or a muzzle-loading specialty single shot handgun which has a barrel length of not less than ten (10) inches, a bore diameter of at least 45/100of an inch and which propels a projectile of two hundred forty (240) grains at not less than five hundred (500) foot pounds at one hundred (100) yards.

In addition, a hunter may use any other cartridge fired from a firearm that has a barrel bore diameter of at least thirty-five hundredths (.35) of an inch and the cartridge generally delivers at least five hundred (500) ft-pounds of impact at one hundred (100) yards and cartridges used are loaded with a lead, soft, or expanding point bullet.

In WY it has been .24 caliber or larger. I was told that has been changed, but I have not verified it yet. Your 6.5 will be fine. Good luck. Bruce

I'm a new member who has lived at 10,000 feet in Colorado's high country for the past 35 years. The drought up here (Eastern slope) has made for some very foul tasting deer meat that even Lipton's Onion Soup can't fix. However, they keep the Cinnamon Bears alive and minimizes the break-ins we've been facing the past 5-6 years (Aspen area has over 100 break-ins this year). Our snow depth is less that half of normal so far this year and it doesn't look like a good winter so more starving animals.

I can't remember this much wind since I moved up here in 1970. A couple of local LRHs have switched to .338s just to get some weight to minimize the drift. Weather patterns have become a factor in hunting up here. The Wyoming hunts seems to be very different experience for these guys.

It's dry all over. Went to NM for MD earlier this year and the Mississippi at Joplin is nothing more than a creek. NM was dry as a fart, everything is brown.

It's dry here (in Michigan) too. Ponds are way down, tells me the groundwater is receeding plus I had a poor year for forage crops.

Gotta be raining/snowing somewhere.......

Well the hunt is almost here! I understand a couple of guys couldn't make it. So be it. My goal is to make new friends and create lasting memories. Wish us good fortune!

I am almost organized. Down to the last hour or so of laying out stuff, packing, etc.

Mugs, Call me in the afternoon to break up the road monotony. (920-379-2020) . I'll see you Saturday am.

I installed a "permanent" Wilson wireless cell booster in my Jeep. Works pretty well. I was surprised John Berger (outfitter) says he has very good Verizon reception at his building. Plenty good enough for email and some web use. Our tent on the mountain won't have any of course. That's a good thing. I have a sat phone for emergencies.

I talked to his son Jacob Berger yesterday for a half hour. He had gone back home to Iowa for a week. He had a baby 4 days ago. He'll arrive today probably, maybe tomorrow.

His guides will be doing last minute scouting the rest of this week. Jacob ran into the F&G biologist 10 days ago on the trail. Was told there are a good number of big deer this summer in the immediate area where we'll be hunting. It was a good summer for antler growth. Lots of healthy fawns.

I won't be seeing the guys in MCO Camp #2 when they arrive. They'll be greeted by Rich. He'll take them directly to their camp. But I'll get over there mid-week or so to visit and to see who gets bragging rights. Assuming I kill early enough, of course.

Last edited:
After re-reading my post I need to clarify my typing. The hunt starts on Sunday, Sept. 15. I am meeting you all on Sat. the 14th.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.