How often do you clean your barrel?

How often do you clean your barrel?

• Total voters

Canadian Bushman

Just wondering how often you guys like to clean your barrel? I know everyone has their own means and methods, and if you feel like describing it, i will definitely read it.

My rem 700 .308 was at just over 1700 rounds with out cleaning it when I sold it, Shot exceptionally

My new 6.5 Creedmoor is at around 600 rounds, Cleaned it the day I got it. and shooting very good also

Somewhere between 150-200 rounds in my kreigers...sometimes longer..I may start letting them get near 300 before I swab because they always need about 40 shots to foul them back in.

For a factory barrel I always had to clean by the time it neared 60-80 shots

Think it is important to be consistent with interval and amount of cleaning. I shoot a factory barrel and it fouls quickly and seems to shoot faster and faster as it fouls. So to keep the shots in a zone speed wise and accuracy wise I do this:

shoot 25
2 passes with bore snake
shoot 25
2 passes with bore snake
shoot 25
2 passes with bore snake
shoot 25
clean standard way and remove copper and carbon
shoot 25
etc.

Seems when I do this, after the copper clean it takes about 10-12 shots to get back in the zone. I know the next 15 or so shots will be right on at longer ranges. Then after the bore snake, it only takes about 2 shots to be back in the zone. This way I can pretty well predict how it will shoot at any given time in that 100 shots.

Have a couple of custom barrels that I just patch clean about every 50 rounds or so and run a nylon brush through every now and then if it seems to need it. Much easier..

My rem 700 .308 was at just over 1700 rounds with out cleaning it when I sold it, Shot exceptionally

My new 6.5 Creedmoor is at around 600 rounds, Cleaned it the day I got it. and shooting very good also
I've cleaned my 5R .308 I think twice... as well. And that was the day I got it, and then about a year ago. It shoots better dirty. It also shoots better with a warm/hot barrel. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Think it is important to be consistent with interval and amount of cleaning. I shoot a factory barrel and it fouls quickly and seems to shoot faster and faster as it fouls. So to keep the shots in a zone speed wise and accuracy wise I do this:

Im seeing signs of this same problem with my rifle

I clean every time I shoot, unless I am checking zero for a hunt. Then I leave it dirty.

I really struggle with storing a dirty gun.

I was super particular with cleaning regiments for a long time. Then I realized my guns shoot WAY better after 5-15 rounds and is good until between 40-75. So now I shoot them dirty until I know I'm going to store them for awhile, then I clean them for the long sit. But the more shooting I do and the more I learn, the longer I'm letting them stay fouled.

Just wondering how often you guys like to clean your barrel? I know everyone has their own means and methods, and if you feel like describing it, i will definitely read it.
No specific round count for me. I try to clean them all faithfully at least once a year. On my hunting rigs that can be 20 rouds or less on my varmint rigs and AR's it can be once every several hundred rounds or more.

So i guess its more of finding what a particular barrel likes more than a set idea of when to clean. Is that a fair statement?
To an extent. For me the biggest difference is CM vs Stainless. I just don't worry about my stainless rigs as much as those which are not. Since I started using Machine Gunner's Lube I don't even worry about them a whole lot because it's doing an excellent job of rust prevention.

It also depends greatly on the intent of the rig. My long range rigs will get more attention than the others but even with them as soon as I finish cleaning them I'll fire a couple of foulers and leave a bit of oil in the bore for storage to reduce corrosion problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.