How much vertical adjustment is enough?

bookworm

I have a .300 WM and want to start shooting long range with it. I'm shopping for a moderate priced scope and I'm wondering how much vertical adjustment is needed to shoot out to 1000yds or even a little further?

Also, if a scope has 40 minutes of adjustment does that mean it is 20 up and 20 down from center, or can you center it to have more in one direction?

Thanks.

The 40 minutes is the total adjustment the scope has, so yes it would be 20 up and 20 down from center but you don't have to mount it centered. The use of a sloped base allows you more available adjustment after the rifle is zeroed, you can do the same with the inserts in Burris Sig rings too. 40 minutes will get you to 1000 and past if the scope is mounted to allow you use of most of its available adjustment.

My 300 WM needs about 24MOA elevation adjustment to shoot out to 1000yds. I shoot 180gr scirocco's at just over 3000fps.

~Jacob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.