How loud is Timney 700 safety?

Zerk

How does the volume of the safety on Timney's 700 trigger compare to stock?

Yes, I know you can push down on it, to quite it. Yes I know a deer won't hear it at 200 yards, but not all of us hunt at 200 yards. This year was 20.

Thinking about picking one up for an old 700 of mine. Thanks.

It is possible to fire the shot and release the safety simultaneously on the Remington 700 by simply applying pressure on the trigger while you press the safety lever to the firing position. Lots of accidental discharges occur because of that. But to answer your question more directly, I find that my Timney triggers do have a somewhat softer release than the factory Remingtons.
Also consider that when you're within 20 yards of your whitetail, the bayonet works just fine. :p

The 700 Remington safety has a spring loaded ball bearing going from one endentent hole SAFE to another FIRE. The noise is made when the spring loaded ball snaps into the FIRE endentent. By using your thumb to shove the safety off and your index finger in front of the safety lever with your hand rubbing the stock with pressure so you have complete control. The ball bearing can be rolled slowly down the edge of the fire endentent, and Not be snapped into the endentent by the spring.

I developed this tactic about 1975 with a Rem. 700 and Rem 78. When I was working crop damage situations with a bear or deer in just a few feet of me.

H

Yes, I know you can push down on it, to quite it.
s.

T

I developed this tactic about 1975 with a Rem. 700 and Rem 78. e.
I thought I invented the first couple times I used it. I guess we should have patented it.

But I want to know if the timney is quiter. I have always had the presence of mind to do this. But hate to lose the big one cause I got excited.

Its sad how expensive rifles have loud safeties. I went and handled a bunch this spring.

Yes, I also know the best safeties is the between your ears. But when trumping through the woods I like redundancy. None of my carry handguns have a safety, but my holsters have trigger guards too.

I had to much money this month, so I ordered one. Was debating between single and 2 stage. I went with single, cause I didn't want to set it up right now. Plus I like many things, it is new and will get better.

Holy crap is the Timney loud. Maybe once I get it in the stock, it will be muffled. Maybe operating it and wearing it in, will help. Never heard anything so loud.

Doesn't seem any better when pressing down. Again maybe will be better when in the rifle, just in my hand now.

I'll probably be flamed for this, but I really don't think it is that much different. Ya it is 3.5, I believe stock was 7.5. Which numbers wise is a massive improvement. But pulling it, I dunno.

Not happy with the noise of the safety, I think its worse. Again I know I will be flamed. Pushing down doesn't seem to help, as it does with stuck. Maybe can move it slower.

Bolt release is bindng, and not popping back out. So had to take stock back off. Need to play with that.

Tweaked the tab on the new trigger that contacts the bolt release, like the instructions tell you. They don't tell you which way. It may sound stupid, but I wasn't sure if I need to push down hard, or less, because it really didn't look like much either way.

I think I bent it up, but then it was out towards the stock, so in a little. Dunno end result, but it works great now.

I noticed a wear spot on barrel towards front of stock. I can't even get a dollar bill to slide between the stock and barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.