How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

I think it all comes down to a combination of things. Lots of apples to oranges comparisons out there. But bottom line it comes down to a hunters individual ethics and abilities. I shoot at 7mm REM Mag pushing 162 ELDx at 2950. It's capable of killing further than I am. I'm confident I can shoot well enough to about 600 in field positions. But I also practice field shooting (prone with bipod , shooting sticks with rear rest, and from a field pod) almost entirely and only shoot from a bench occasionally. But I'm on flat land…going into the mountains, I'd definitely have to have more experience before I'd go stretching out to far. I've shot in the mountains every trip I've made out west but never had to take an animal farther than a few hundred yards. But it takes good shot placement, a good bullet, and a good hunter to determine if the shot is doable. My last trip was in the Maroon Bells, I got on some elk but I wasn't confident in making a 900 yd shot cross canyon with my set up and being able to get to the elk. I questioned all sorts of things in the moment…especially the recovery. I swear they were living in a natural hell hole of a area. But I personally would prefer to be running a heavier high bc bullet in my 7mm if I was elk hunting every year, I'd lean to a 180 class pushed as hard as I could accurately. Not only for added energy but the benefits of wind drift. The tricky thing sometimes is the wind you don't see or account for. But I love the 7mm Remington Magnum.

This is a different debate for a different thread hahah. But I'll say I don't agree with Hornady advancing much.

Well sales and popularity of all 3 Creedmoors, 3 PRC's and now 2 ARC's so quickly after release says you're wrong LOL. The 7PRC has barely been out a year and it's already completely mainstream with two other major ammo makers taking it on, over a dozen firearm companies chambering it including most of the big names, and now even CIP approval.

Well sales and popularity of all 3 Creedmoors, 3 PRC's and now 2 ARC's so quickly after release says you're wrong LOL. The 7PRC has barely been out a year and it's already completely mainstream with two other major ammo makers taking it on, over a dozen firearm companies chambering it including most of the big names, and now even CIP approval.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
What was it you said about your head being stuck in the sand? 😄😄😄😄
Sorry man we ain't drinking the koolaide cuz the kids think PRCs factory ammo makes them long rangers hahah.

Again topic for a different thread

Last edited:
I bet you thought everyone was drinking the koolaid back when fuel injection came out and you were fully content with an old carb big block making a whopping 175hp and getting 5mpg too.

Innovation makes things better.

The minimum velocity for expansion from the manufacturer of the bullet you choose will give you your technical distance limit. It's different from bullet to bullet, so you need to know what it is for the specific one you are using.

You will have to use a chrono and a ballistic calc to determine at what distance the bullet will drop below this speed.

No bullet manufacture will give you any energy numbers for their bullets. It's just not relevant despite what numbers people feel they like. It is not a quantifiable measurement. Bullet performance at a given speed is quantifiable, and that's what the manufactures use.

Subjectively, your marksmanship in field positions, and ability to judge wind will be your limiting factor for distance.
I'd only add to not forget angle and mirage. Equipment these days will go a heck of a lot further than most people are capable of killing at on demand.