How far is LRH whent shooting sage rats?

HARPERC

We just returned from our annual (kids all tell me we're going back) sage rat shoot in eastern Oregon.

Sage rat shooting quality is usually determined by volume, and Tim Titus, (tt35), at No Off Season always has fields with awesome numbers.

2 of the young men, were returning shooters that showed definite growth, and our new guy showed up ready to play. Each recorded hits that impressed me, but to the group I ask where does long range start with sage rats?

1) Rimfire, 2) Traditional varmint rigs, 3) Unlimited,

What's your favorite rat rifle look like?

I guess long rang starts when the wind starts wreaking havoc on your hit percentage. my .17 HMR that's about 300 yards or 250 on a really windy day which is not to uncommon. The 22 LR gets saved for the close shots so I've never tried shooting it much farther. The .204 long range is 500 and .243 is 500 + as well.

........I guess long rang starts when the wind starts wreaking havoc on your hit percentage. my .17 HMR that's about 300 yards or 250 on a really windy day which is not to uncommon........

Which .17 rifles, and optics are you using?

The wind seems to blow as often as not. I brought the range finder more into the game this year, I might bring the Kestrel, and ballistic calculator next year.

Putting together data cards in the off season wouldn't hurt either.

Kids are still in the quantity stage, but it might be time to push expectations a bit.

I was wrong on the gun make. It's a Savage 93R17 BVSS. Pre accutrigger model and I did some work on it to lighten it up. After getting one of these, I didn't pick up my .22 for a decade.

I have used several Simmons scopes on it and they were all great but now I have a Bushnell Banner 6-24x40 on it. I wanted some more power and a mildot for fast hold overs. I also made a custom oversized turret for it for fast dialing at the longer ranges. Those little critters don't stand a chance against it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.