Hornady superformance slug help!!!!

JC64

Good evening. New to the forum and need some advice and this forum looked like it could help me out.

I decided to try out a new sabot slug this year and the Hornady Superformance slug looked good because of the 95% cooper. I have been shooting the Hornady SST slugs 12GA for the past 5 or 6 years and they shoot great, BUT...... I have noticed several times after entering the deers body the slug explodes and doesn't retain it's shape and therefore it's weight. This is the main reason I wanted to try the Superformance. My slug barrel comes off after deer season for bird hunting but I always shoot the gun before deer season every year. Last night I cleaned my gun and put the slug barrel on. I shot this morning with the new slugs but heaven for bid I COULD NOT get them to group. I thought I had it once but then the next couple rounds were off more than I like. I am using a lead sled but I haven't had an issue in the past with the lead sled and I couldn't hold the gun much more steady. I guess the saying certain barrels like certain slugs may be true. I am shooting a Benelli SBE 2 by the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

If you have heard this before, than disregard my post.

Every gun is different when it comes to ammo. Some will like a certain load, however others will not even though it may be the exact make and model. Unfortunately, you may have to shoot several different brands of ammo until you find what your gun likes.

Your gun is telling you it does not like that ammo. I doubt anything you will do can make it shoot any better than what your getting now. I would go back to the ammo you used successfully or try a different brand(s).

Most of MD is shotgun,with slugs for deer. I have had great luck with 2 3/4 inch Lightfield slugs. I have been using them exclusively for 25 years, for deer. I suggest you try a pack and see how they shoot in your SG.

Good luck

Jerry

Yep some guns just won't shoot certain slugs. Try the Remington accutips. I do a lot of slug hunting pigs buffalo and deer it's like archery for me. The accutip is the best slug I've found capable of 200yards without a problem. I switched from set for the same reason as you to soft. The accutip is a brass jacketed lead slug that is chemically bonded so it will hold weight.

I will have to try the accutips hopefully i will have time next week. Snox801 do you by chance have any experience with any other solid copper slugs. I know theres not many other choices out there. But if you say accutips will hold up I will give them a shot. I am just tired of the SST blowing apart and sending lead into my deer meat!!!!!

I have tried about every slug made at one point. I'm in a shotgun only zone but am able to make long shots so most of my testing was for accuracy. I found the accutip before it was released and was very happy to see it was bonded to hold together. These where the first two I was able to collect. I was blowing right through both shoulders on deer out to 100 yards and was leaving a nice 1 1/2 exit hole. I was rarely ever getting exit holes with sst. Funny cause every time I try to get people to try them that use accutips they hate them and point to the damage the sst does. But none of them are able to make a 200 yard shot with any consistentcy. I'm also like you more penetration is always better than less.

I also shoot a sbe2, and have tried many different slugs. Federals load of Barnes expanders 2 3-4" 3/4oz slug at 1900fps seem best. They have great terminal performance. I have seen many deer shot with the Hoarndy SST and they have a high rate of jacket-core seperation. Only 2 Barnes slugs were recovered in about 20 Iowa whitetails, and they look like the advertisement pictures.

Thanks. I have read some good reviews on the federals not to mention you cant ever complain about a barnes bullet. I will look into them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts