Hornady’s New ELD-X Bullets

Ive slammed three hogs. All didn't take another step nor make that hog snort/grunt after being shot. Will take pics of cavity next one I harvest.

First I don't think it is the bullet. It may be that your rifle does not like the ELDX. Make sure you let the barrel cool between groups. Make sure all screws are tight. I have a rifle that will not group. I think it prefers heavier bullets. My Browning Xbolt Long Range Hunter loves the ELDX ammo.

My son shot a cow elk at 90 yards with a 30-06 with the 178 grain ELDX factory loads. The elk went down in a hurry. Here is link to the video I took of it. Way better results than I have had with Barnes TTSX out of my 300WM. I'm working on loads for the 200 grain ELDX for my 300WM and plan to use them for elk hunting moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtF3nUaYU6c

i did not much luck with them out if my 280Ai, but that is no discredit to the bullet its self. it shot about an inch and half group at 100yds. kind of a bummer should have attempted groups out farther, but i had many loads that day. ended up using the nosler e-tip with great grouping, but hey every rifle is different and when it was shooting consistent 3/4 groups i was plenty happy with that. if you live by me, i will be glad to trade haha.

Sofar the 162gr ELD X is the only factory load I can get my sendero 7mm mag to shoot ok .5/8"-3/4" .i have not killed anything with them yet but that might change today .

Shot a buck yesterday at 177 yards with a 162gr 7mm ELD X .impact speed should of been right at 2,700fps .bullet started expansion very early and did massive damage to the internals .the exit hole was about the size of a base ball and the deer was a bang flop .sofar I'm very happy with them and plan on continue hunting with them .

After switching over to barns 165gr TTSX last year in my 300 win mag and the start of this season I have decided to never use them again .these barns bullets effectively turned a 100% bang flop gun into a on your hands and knees tracking gun .i know lots of people love barns TTSX bullets but there not for me ,I have never seen deer runs sofar with good shot placement before ,it's a shame because my gun was shooting 1/2-1/4" with them
My son shot a cow elk at 90 yards with a 30-06 with the 178 grain ELDX factory loads. The elk went down in a hurry. Here is link to the video I took of it. Way better results than I have had with Barnes TTSX out of my 300WM. I'm working on loads for the 200 grain ELDX for my 300WM and plan to use them for elk hunting moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtF3nUaYU6c

Great article by the way .i did notice in my gun at 100yards nosler 140gr ballistic tips shot a little better but the ELD -X shot a lot better pass 300yards .that kinda surprised me .i figured the one that shot better at 100 yard would still shoot better at distance .but I was wrong .so far I'm loving ELD X
Thanks for the update. Glad the bullet did you well. I plan on using them myself for all my huntng.

That is quite often the fact that long tapered bullets will shoot more accurately at longer distance. Hornady especially designed this bullet for longer distances. I try to only shoot hunting type bullets and these are getting the best groups in my 6.5 calibers.

I have just purchaed 200 ELD-X 145gr projectiles for my 270Win.
I can't find any loading data though. I'd like to use AR2213SC (H4831) as I have a fair bit left over from previous loads using Sierra GK 140gr.
Can anyone help?
Cheers

The data for a 140gr bullet indicates starting H4831 at 52gr and go up from there. You might send Hornady an email or call them for their suggested load. The new Hornady loading manual may help also.

Yeah I tried 54-58gr and settled for 56 wih the sierra GK. Great result both on range and hunting. Was hoping to find something a bit closer on the heavier ELD though. Im in Australia and we might have one of the best powders-ADI- but we seems to be getting the projectiles and data way later than US. I know there is a seating sleeve for the ELD...well...in the US anyway...cant find it here. I tried ebay and found it for around $15-20...+$65 freight!!! Just have to be patient I guess.

Great article by the way .i did notice in my gun at 100yards nosler 140gr ballistic tips shot a little better but the ELD -X shot a lot better pass 300yards .that kinda surprised me .i figured the one that shot better at 100 yard would still shoot better at distance .but I was wrong .so far I'm loving ELD X

I've actually been taught to shoot groups for load development at 300 yds, as this seems to be about the earliest the bullets stabilize.

On topic:
Last fall, I took a small WT buck with my 162gr ELDx out of a Sako a7 in 7mmRM. 300yd cross-drainage shot, with the POA right behind the shoulder on a broadside. The animal didn't move out of his tracks. When I got to him and began to bone out, I found a double shoulder punch. I hadn't held for wind, so my POI had moved a couple inches, right into the shoulder blade. I was surprised the bullet retained mass well enough to go clean through both bones. Granted, it was a pretty small buck, and thin bones, but I kind of figured it would have broken up a little more than it did.

Earlier in the year, I took a big 6x6 bull elk at around 175 yards. Impact was a little low, just behind the front leg. I'm fairly sure the bullet never expanded. Exit hole was smooth-walled and about the diameter of my index finger. It was a relatively quick kill, though, so I'll take it.

My load for both animals was:
162gr eldx
75 gr Retumbo
MV = 3008 fps (ballistics corrected)
V @ 175yd = 2735 fps
V @ 300yd = 2550 fps

Hoping for a little longer shot this Fall, just to see how the bullet performs at longer distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.