Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

Hello,

I have had Darrel install five brakes (two Wichita pistols and three Remington Senderos) for me.

A lady usually calls about the time I expect them to recieve my barrel from the shipper and every time without fail, it is her telling me that the job is finished and that she is shipping it out.

I have never seen customer service as good as this nor turn around times as short as you get with Darrel. He epitomizes excellent customer service.

He has the barrel turned around and coming home before most guys would answer an email. Simply amazing performance.

As soon as the 300 Dakota XP-100 is done next week, he will get another barrel to put one of his brakes on..... One of the BIG threaded radial brakes.

James

Hey guys, between that video and James's (lightvarmints) kind words about Darrell and his brakes i didnt see any option but to go with the new radail bake. Ive said it on a few other posts i am having one of them put on my rifle it is a 338 edge that to me, kicked a little tomuch i sure am hoping it does the trick.

Nathan

Hey guys, between that video and James's (lightvarmints) kind words about Darrell and his brakes i didnt see any option but to go with the new radail bake. Ive said it on a few other posts i am having one of them put on my rifle it is a 338 edge that to me, kicked a little tomuch i sure am hoping it does the trick.

Nathan

Nathan,

They shipped my 300 Dakota XP barrelled action back to me yesterday. I should have it on Saturday. That would be a 7 day turn around including shipping both ways...... Simply amazing!!

Really hard to beat that customer service, professionalism and craftsmanship.

I wish there were more "Darrell Hollands" out there, but I am thankful there is at least one.

James

Just interested in that Holland brake for your 7mm.

Can you tell me what diameter hole is turned into that brake for a 7mm calibre.

Also what diameter hole would you suggest for a brake on a .338 calibre rifle.
Thanks.

Just out of curiosity...
With a brake ported on 3 sides i would expect it to force the barrel in the direction of the unported side (downwards). I can see that some downward force might be good, but if the brake can hold the recoil of a magnum calibre with the force of the gas against the (what looks like +-10degree) angled baffles, i would expect 3 times that in the downward direction?

Any thoughts on this? (no intent on hijacking a good thread)

Just out of curiosity...
With a brake ported on 3 sides i would expect it to force the barrel in the direction of the unported side (downwards). I can see that some downward force might be good, but if the brake can hold the recoil of a magnum calibre with the force of the gas against the (what looks like +-10degree) angled baffles, i would expect 3 times that in the downward direction?

Any thoughts on this? (no intent on hijacking a good thread)

The forces seem to equalize themselves since there is not any noticeable muzzle jump or muzzle "squatting"....

Most folks I think would expect to have to hang on with a death grip for a monster like this... However, a two finger hold is all that is required to manage it during recoil....

If you want a comparison, I have a Kelbly Cub 6PPC benchrest pistol that was built to compete in the Shooters News pistol championships.... The original owner was Tom Libby and the pistol was actually in several magazine articles. The pistol has no brake.

The 6PPC has more actual movement of the pistol than the 300 Dakota with the Holland's Radial brake when shooting off the same bench at the same target by the same shooter....

Both have rifle scopes so the eye relief is short. I have been bit by the 6ppc, but not by the 300 Dakota.....

These brakes simply work fantastically.

James

I've been thinking about this and i think my reasoning was wrong to start off with. I assumed the forward force was created by the gas escaping at the slightly backwards angle almost like propelling a rocket. A now beleive the actual forward "thrust is created by the gas traveling away from the shooter and hitting the brake baffles in a forward direction. The sideways blast is secondary to that and most of the energy is tranferred before the gas leaves the brake.

I've been thinking about this and i think my reasoning was wrong to start off with. I assumed the forward force was created by the gas escaping at the slightly backwards angle almost like propelling a rocket. A now beleive the actual forward "thrust is created by the gas traveling away from the shooter and hitting the brake baffles in a forward direction. The sideways blast is secondary to that and most of the energy is tranferred before the gas leaves the brake.

Here is another comparison for you....

I have both styles (Standard and Radial) of Darrel's brakes on handguns...

One is on a .308 Wichita that shoots 180gr bullets.

The other is the 300 Dakota shooting 210 grain bullets.

The .308 with the standard brake and 180 grain bullet recoils such that you do have to have a good grip on it for control.

The 300 Dakota only requires a two finger hold for control and it is shooting 210 grain bullets faster than the 308 is shooting 180s.

With the exception of actually switching the brakes around (not planning on that at all) this is probably the closest comparison that I could share with you.

It is all about "opposite" actions and reactions....

James

Lightvarmint,

Riflescope on a handgun? How do you shoot these handguns - always from a bench?

I have 2 - 14" Encore barrels that were recently built by Bullberry Barrel Works with the Holland Quick Discharge brakes - 7mm08 and 300/221. Have scoped the 7mm08 with a handgun scope, but haven't scoped the other barrel yet.

I am intrigued and wondering the benefit and how you feel about the functionality with the riflescope? Do you use fixed or variable power?

csumpm

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.