Holland QD brake video - 200 gr. @ 3300fps

ss7mm

There are always questions about brakes and how well they work. I've also noted some comparisons posted lately. I had forgotten that I had this little clip. It's a 7mm Am, 200 gr. Wildcat at 3300 fps and the brake is a Holland QD. Kirby or Shawn's brakes would be as good and probably better than this brake's recoil reduction.

As soon as the weather gets a little better I'll do another of the same setup but with and without the brake for comparison.
YouTube - Shooting 7mm Allen Magnum w/Holland QD brake

With your brake do they need to be tuned by a gunsmith? I know tuned is not the correct term, but it escapes me at the moment.

I am collecting parts for a 338 edge build and trying to decide on a brake.

No tuning really needed. Installing is a different story. I just sent my barrel into Hollands and had them put the brake on. They did a great job and matched the color of my barrel to the brake. You could just order it from them and take it to just about any gun smith and have them install it though.

With your brake do they need to be tuned by a gunsmith? I know tuned is not the correct term, but it escapes me at the moment.

I am collecting parts for a 338 edge build and trying to decide on a brake.

It need to be timed/indexed but no tuning required as jarheadhunter noted. I have the QD in one of my .300 Win Mag and the felt recoil is similar to .243's.

brake2_zpsff1aab99.jpg

I don't have the latest generation design (radial baffle) but it's supposed to be more effective than the QD.

RB_Brakes3_zpsf44e8d2d.jpg

Good luck!

It need to be timed/indexed but no tuning required as jarheadhunter noted. I have the QD in one of my .300 Win Mag and the felt recoil is similar to .243's.

brake2_zpsff1aab99.jpg

I don't have the latest generation design (radial baffle) but it's supposed to be more effective than the QD.

RB_Brakes3_zpsf44e8d2d.jpg

Good luck!

I have the Radial Baffle and can't compare because I haven't used the other. I would say my 300 Win Mag. kicks about like a 243 as well.

I think we'd get a better feel for the brakes function/benefit if we saw a before and after video.

Does Holland provide spacers for the install timing?

Not the best video but shows what you're looking for ...

Unless it has changed, no it does not come with any washer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts