Help With 300RUM

I bedded the action last nigh and found that the barrel was touching the stock about 2" forward of the action. A little light sanding and it is all good. I was able to find Berger 210VDL at a local shop. Thank you for all the good information so far. I will see what I can make happen with those.

With my 300 RUM, tried 200gr ELD-X.....no go. Tried 200gr accubonds....no go.
Tried with retumbo, H1000, Fed 215m, CCI 250, WLRM primers.
Then I tried 230gr berger hybrids OTM with VVN570 powder and can put 5 holes in a circle the size of a quarter at 100 yards. This sunday I am going out and stretch her lets out to maybe 1000 yards.

Seeing you already purchase the VLDs try them. Be sure to try Berger's suggestions to get them to shoot:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

If for some reason you have difficulty with accuracy switch to Berger hybrids. IMO the best bullet for your 300 RUM is the 230 match target hybrid. Second best the 215 match target hybrid. They usually shoot well without any seating depth manipulations. Seat to fit and feed from magazine and work up the correct powder charge.

Follow everything that AZ Shooter is telling you and it will work fine. I have a few custom 300 RUMS and the 215 and 230 Bergers are definitely the loads!

Pardon my ignorance on this, doesn't Burger recommend a 1:9 or faster twist for the 215 and 230. I am running a 1:10. I have been reading as much as I about other configurations and due to magazine length I will be keeping them around 3.6" in total length. Thank you for your continued input, I appreciate it.

I live at sea level and we loaded the 215 in my buddy's 300 RUM with a 10 twist and shot them to a mile with no issue.

All the manufacturer's are bumping up the recommended twist rates recently because it effects BC numbers. So in most cases there is a minimum twist rate to be stable and then a recommended twist rate to maximize BC.

I was able to get out and shoot a little this weekend.
Here is 91.5gr of Retumbo with the 210 Berger VLD. Three shots
aKh6BlZ.jpg

I think I will call that one good

Then I tried the Accubonds again at 91.5gr and I pulled the two shots clearly. I knew it as soon as I pulled the trigger.

hPpdxAI.jpg

After a few additional shots with the Accubonds they started to open up and I was getting a little impatient and my daughter was didn't want to be at the range any longer so I didn't mess around with the Noslers much more. I will need to revisit that when I have a little more time.

I am now on the hunt for some additional brass and the 230gr VLDs.

Went out again this weeks to send some lead down range. I think the 210 Bergers are shooting alright. I am getting an Average velocity of 2910. That is with the chrono about 30' from the rifle. I had it closer to where I typically shoot my 308 but the muzzle blast was too great and it was moving the chrono around.

For the 190 Accubonds the Average velocity was 3055.
For the 150gr the average velocity was 3600.

I am still getting a fair amount of copper fouling. I am trying to follow the recommendations on on barrel maintenance. Right now I am just around 120 rounds on the barrel.

try a patch of graphite on a clean dry bore, I started doing this on my RUM and it works wonders for copper. i am shooting the long 195 eol and it was layin down some copper but when I started this it worked great, i shot it about 20 times after my last cleaning and then cleaned Sunday and it literally took 8 patches to clean :)

You should be able to bump up speeds to the 3050-3100 pretty easily with the 210 HVLD & Retumbo. I am getting 3068 with a 230 Hybrid in mine, and 3110 with the 215 Hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.