Help me pick 22 Ammo!

BigDaddyKane

I am going on a back packing/hunting trip this upcoming Friday, Nov 25th. It was sort of a last minute thing and I opted to go. I am usually a 300WinMag shooter so the idea of a 22 is extremely foreign to me. I will be hoping to snag some small game a.k.a. rabbit, beaver, fox maybe even some coyote. But I have no idea what ammo to carry.

I don't have time to order online as I will be leaving in a few days. So I need big box store ammo... in other words something that Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or Bass Pro will carry so that I can walk in grab what I need and head out on the trip. Anyone have any suggestions??? Do I want high velocity? Hollow points? Any specific brand or line?

And lastly, what can I reasonably expect to take down with a .22lr? I mean my 300wm delivers thousands of pounds of force and the 22 brings like 100ft/lbs of energy. What is a reasonable distance to take down a coyote or fox?

THANKS!

I like to use aquila super maximum hypervelocity bullets, they are a 30 grain bullet that has a little more get up that the stingers, and for the quiet sniping my marlin seems to like the aquila sss ( 60 grain subsonic ), most of my buddies swear by anything that is cci

Ok, so we have intended game, but no idea what your shooting;
Rifle - Auto,pump,bolt??? Barrel length?
Pistol? Revolver, automatic?
Many things to consider when selecting ammo. For example my River 10/22 custom Moves Lapua Midas-L ammo, but copperplated American Eagle shoots almost as good for 1/8 the price.
My old Marlin only liked American Eagles, my old Rossi pump prefers RemingtonPeters, my Colt scout likes Winchesters, & mammas Walther p-22 loves CCI's, & American Eagle, but won't load un plated bullets well. My Henery lever shoots anything I load into it pretty good.
If I was gonna put the starvation bead on a critter, I'd use one of the rifles- way more accurate at distance, & higher muzle velocity but it would be with ammo I knew would perform properly with that specific firearm.

CCI Mini-Mag and Federal Game Shok 810 seem to be the same ammo and one of them should be available. Shoot almost as waccurate as match ammo, only hit harder. 810 is noticeably superior to 710 and 610 loads.

CCI Velocitor and CCI Stinger for the faster stuff. Velocitor is faster past 100 yards and works better at long range. Stinger is faster inside 100 yards and has more explosive results at close range. Velocitor is my favorite .22LR round.

Wolf Match Target for subsonic shooting. This is actually German SK Standard Match ammo, relabeled, made by Lapua. Almost like putting a suppressor on a long barrel rifle.

Aguila has Eley Prime and more glass in the priming and shoots dirtier than CCI or Federal. Would not recommend for semi-auto.

CCI Blazer is cheap Mini-Mag without the copper wash and powder charges are uneven. Sorted for weight, it shoots very well and yields about 70% good rounds. 1" at 100 yards in my CZ 452.

Sorry for the late reply... I have a Remington model 12A pump action 22 long rifle, circa 1925. Ended up grabbing some Winchester Super X hollow points. Shot nicely... just didn't have enough game out there to shoot at. Better luck next time!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts