Help me decide which caliber for my WSM build? ;)

Which caliber is your favorite?

• 6.5mm WSM

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 52 40.6%
  • 270 WSM

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 44 34.4%

• Total voters

wilkup

I'm not sure which round I'd like to chamber my next build for, but have decided I want to use the WSM case. I'm seriously considering the 270WSM but haven't ruled out a 6.5 or 7mm. I'm not too interested in the 300, but if there's a serious advantage I may reconsider.

I've run the ballistics and I like what the 270 offers verses all the other choices. Hope to get some serious feedback and real life stories/examples of why one is better than another.

I plan to use this rifle for hunting anything on 4 legs I'll encounter in the Northwest (WA).

The 270 WSM is the most versatile IMO, I shoot laser flat 110 TTSX at 3600 fps for coyotes and antelope then I shoot 165 or 175 gr Matrix VLD's in the mid 3000's for long range elk slap down. Norma brass it excellent!

I love my 7WSM so I'm a little biased. It really comes down to what you plan on doing with the rifle. Is this a hunting or range gun? If for hunting (which I'm guessing it's going to be considering this site), what type of game? What kind of range are you looking to shoot at? Do you reload?

If you don't reload, I'd say the 270 or 300 simply because trying to find 7WSM in factory ammo readily available is a pain for some reason (this was a major reason for me learning to reload). This would also rule out the 6.5 or 338 since I don't think (not positive, but pretty sure) anyone makes factory ammo for them. If you do reload, there are more options for good bullets with high BC with the 7 or 6.5. There are some bullet manufacturers coming out with new high BC 270 bullets, but there are a lot more for the 6.5 or 7.

These are just my opinions, there are plenty of people I know who love their 270 or 300WSM's. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but it's kind of like asking the old ford/chevy question. They are both good but it all comes down to is personal preference.

If you're serious about making a true long range big game hunting WSM, my vote is 300 WSM in a 26"-28" barrel running .719 BC 230 Berger OTMs at around 2750 fps. The long range energy of the 230 is phenomenal in this round and it takes the 300 WSM to the next level over its little brothers. Plus, you'll likely have better barrel life. Get a muzzle brake regardless of what you decide.

I live in your area now and I can let you test drive this setup on some steel targets and you can see first hand what 2000 ft lbs from a WSM at 700 yards looks like.

300WSM is what I shoot.

As said, if you want to be able to purchase 270 or 300 is the only way to go.

I prefer 300 because of the range of projectiles.

I have a 270Wby and for pure hunting the caliber is fine.

7mm has projectiles but no ammo to purchase.

I'm partial to 7 WSM because I reload and I like the bullet weight choices. If you are not a reloader, my choice would be the .300WSM.

I've had two 300WSM first one use Broughton 5c barrel other use Kreiger 5r barrel and 270WSM use Lawton barrel one that Bernie made before he passed away. My nephew hunts and has two boys so he has them now.

I like the 270 got one with lilja barrel and newest build 270Wby with Mike Rock barrel and I hunt deer/elk/antelope and bear.

When your look for one rifle for everything you hunt there is no question 30cal has more bullet selection from short to long yardage. For bull elk I like 7mm or 30cal bullets so if I was hunting bull elk and had buck tag same season I would use when I had them a 300WSM and separate season buck tag or antelope used the 270WSM. Last year I hunted archery bull tag and rifle tag I used 270 and cow tag used Shilen 30-06.

Were on a 2nd 5yr cycle that we been able to hunt deer in separate season so I've been adding some for that. I have two 30-338mag so that takes care of my bull tags.

I didn't build a 7WSM was thinking about one but decided on 280AI and 284 so had those build.

I may have not help you much. Well good luck

I have the .270wsm in a Tikka T3. Love the cartridge, and Matrix is making the heavy 165 and 175gr for .277. I am putting a new barrel, probably a Benchmark. I will be using a 1 in 8 twist. I love the ballistic and the accuracy of the cartridge. Win brass is great, can load for about .80 a load at the outset.
Just my 2cents

Tough choice, there probably is not wrong answer here. You weren't very specific on what you need this rifle to do, how much you plan to shoot, what you intend to "wack 'n' stack" with it etc.

I have a 6.5wsm, 7mm SAUM & 7.82 Patriot (300 short mag). The 6.5 & 300 have stacked up hundreds of pounds of meat, both kill well. (no kills on the 7mm yet).

The 300 has more brass (cajones) from a pure killing power standpoint (I think). The 6.5 is a finess cartridge I feel, a little more accurate, way easier on the shoulder & quite a bit flatter shooting.

It you're a "one gun" type of dude, don't build a 6.5. Short barrel life coupled with a very high Fun Factor can lead to a rebarrel/setback fairly quick like :cool:

The 270 cal Matrix have me intrigued but not enough to build one.

Even though I voted for the fun factor of the 6.5, the 300 is one tough cookie to beat.

t

Tough choice, there probably is not wrong answer here. You weren't very specific on what you need this rifle to do, how much you plan to shoot, what you intend to "wack 'n' stack" with it etc.

The 300 has more brass (cajones) from a pure killing power standpoint (I think). The 6.5 is a finess cartridge I feel, a little more accurate, way easier on the shoulder & quite a bit flatter shooting.

Well in answer to your question - I live in the northwest and it's more than likely this gun will be used to shoot deer, elk, cougar and bear.
In regards to the extra recoil from the 300WSM, are there any brakes that would be helpful in taming this a bit? From what I gather this round makes the most sense for what I'm attempting to achieve but I'm not sure I'll enjoy shooting a light rifle that's going to beat on my shoulder. Are there any that work better in doing this than others? Vias and Defensive Edge are the two brands I've heard that do a good job.

I'm a one-gun sort of guy and like to shoot that gun a lot so I know it and can use it well. I've always felt that way about my guns. If I don't shoot it for a few months it gets put up for sale and shipped to someone who will use it for its intended purpose. Sorry for the side note.

For a brake that will make a 300WSM enjoyable to shoot would be a Muscle brake. I have a couple of them but the one on my 338 Ultra mag tames it down to the kick of a 308 and makes it fun to shoot. The Muscle brake on my 308 makes it feel like a 223.
I did build myself a 6.5 WSM but am still in the load develpment stage and haven't got to kill anything with it. Would like to take it out in the desert and try it on some coyotes and a mule deer if I can draw a tag.
Tarey

Well in answer to your question - I live in the northwest and it's more than likely this gun will be used to shoot deer, elk, cougar and bear.
In regards to the extra recoil from the 300WSM, are there any brakes that would be helpful in taming this a bit? From what I gather this round makes the most sense for what I'm attempting to achieve but I'm not sure I'll enjoy shooting a light rifle that's going to beat on my shoulder. Are there any that work better in doing this than others? Vias and Defensive Edge are the two brands I've heard that do a good job.

I'm a one-gun sort of guy and like to shoot that gun a lot so I know it and can use it well. I've always felt that way about my guns. If I don't shoot it for a few months it gets put up for sale and shipped to someone who will use it for its intended purpose. Sorry for the side note.

If you're a 1-gun dude who likes to shoot, I have to vote 300 just from a barrel life perspective. My 300 short wears a brake, only way i'd have it. Yes, a brake will tame it WAY down, just make dang sure your wear ear pro or you'll regret it. I cannot advocate the vias, or any brake with holes on the bottom. They blow chit everywhere while shooting prone, it isn't very fun. The Muscle brake has a great reputation, as well as the DE or PainKiller from Kirby. JE custom (site sponsor) has designed a new slab style brake as well that is supposed to be dern good.

I did build myself a 6.5 WSM but am still in the load develpment stage and haven't got to kill anything with it. Would like to take it out in the desert and try it on some coyotes and a mule deer if I can draw a tag.
Tarey

Tarey, I hope you start a thread to share your results with the 6.5 :) I'd like take a peak at your data.

t

Any of the side discharge brakes will work to reduce the recoil. I've used the slabbed Muscle Brake and it works extremely well on my 7mm RM. My current 300 WSM brake is from Aztek Arms and it tames it right down. I plan to use the Elk Meadow titanium brake on my next 300 WSM. Personally, there isn't a single WSM that I wouldn't have a brake on. They are just so nice to shoot with.

Build the 300. It's the most versatile from top to bottom.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.