Help me choose a gps....

codybrown

I don't necessarily need one with all the bells and whistles. I'd like something where I can set a "home" area, take off walking, and have it guide me back when I'm ready to return. I've looked at the Bushnell backtrack's and they get mixed reviews. If it takes buying a more expensive model in order to get quality, so be it. I don't really need all the topographic maps and such that come on them though. Suggestions???

A GPS without topo maps is pretty useless for hunting from my experience. Topo maps can be downloaded free from the internet, no reason to pay for them. Take a look at the Garmin 600, it's a very nice unit that accepts maps.

Cabela's has it on sale for $219

Garmin® Oregon® 600 : Cabela's

Cabelas has the Garmin 64st on sale for $279, this unit has 8 gig of memory and comes pre loaded with topo maps. My hunting partner used this unit on our back country hunt in Colorado this year and it put my Lowrance Endura Safari to shame. I just purchases a 64 st for myself, first time I saw it on sale.

Cabelas has the Garmin 64st on sale for $279, this unit has 8 gig of memory and comes pre loaded with topo maps. My hunting partner used this unit on our back country hunt in Colorado this year and it put my Lowrance Endura Safari to shame. I just purchases a 64 st for myself, first time I saw it on sale.

CB, I've had the Garmin 64st for about a year which I use for hunting only. It performs all tasks I need. It acquires satellites very quickly and the batteries last quite a while. I like to enter coordinates for areas I've never been to and it takes me to the spot with ease. The Birdseye feature is great also. The most important aspect in having any GPS is knowing absolutely how to use it. Download and print the complete instruction manual and use Google for any guestions of operation you can't find? The 64st comes two ways, with all the accessories and without. For $279 at Cabelas, I'd go for it after checking online prices. Good luck

The Oregon 600 is what I use too.
Pick up an extra battery pack for it too, unless you have a way to charge it in the field.

As Gary said, you can get the maps free from gps file depot.

A GPS without topo maps is pretty useless for hunting from my experience. Topo maps can be downloaded free from the internet, no reason to pay for them. Take a look at the Garmin 600, it's a very nice unit that accepts maps.

Cabela's has it on sale for $219

Garmin® Oregon® 600 : Cabela's

Well after quite a bit of research, I bought the Oregon 600 tonight. Looks like I'll be playing with it and learning it's features tomorrow.

You might want to consider a cell phone app.

For instance, Agro Measure Map Pro is free on Android, uses google earth, and can measure to a mound of prairie dogs. It has a sister app, Measure Map. The apps can also use Open Street and Bing Maps.

64s, try eBay I got mine today for 200.00 gps nation has refurbished for 209.00 my research indicated this would be the best bang for my buck. I need to hunt public land in a few states.

I am a complete novice but I did research GPSES allot prior to buying and I just ordered a Garmin GPSMAPS 64s for $208 from Jet.com I felt that was a good if not great deal considering the 64s's capabilities. Give jet,com a look and see if the 64s is still available. It was listed for $238 but was offering a first time buyer coupon for $30 off, don't know if it's still available, but even at $238 W/S&H is still a pretty good deal.

Based on allot of info and tons of reviews and owners ratings of it I felt for under $250 there are few if any better GPS units out there especially for use almost exclusively for hunting as my 64s will be used for.

If you'd be interested in a 64s give Jet a look, I reasonably sure they have the best price on a 64s as can be found.

Forgot to add the reason I choose the 64s over the cheaper 64 was the 64s has a 3 axis compass a absolute must have item in a GPS for me, the 64 did not.

Ive been real happy with my garmin OR 600.I run ONX MT landowner map ,shows topo and all private.I also use this in my Garmin Nuvi 2689 in my jeep or truck which is real nice when on east side and getinto block management areas.

Look at the Garmin 64st, it comes with preloaded topo maps. I have used this unit for a couple of years now and would not hunt without it. This unit is on sale at Cabelas for $249 until 11/23. Having the topo maps is worth the extra money!!

I am looking for a new gps too. I will be hunting out west in a few states on public land. And would love to have as many maps as possible, especially BLM and national forest lands

Thanks

Buck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.