Hand Throating

flyinstroke

So I just put together a new Remage with an X-Caliber carbon barrell in 280 AI. The barrell is reamed to SAMMI spec. Stopped by the local gunsmith to see if the gun was just short throated. He hand reamed about .010 out with his SAMMI reamer. I bought the barrel fast twisted to shoot Hammer Bullets. Problem I am having is I am loading some Berger 168's to break in the barrel and I have to cram them way into the case to get them to chamber in the rifle. Has anyone ever rented a throater to remedy a problem like this? I can't even load the 168's to the book COAL. Also where can I rent a throater?

Thanks for the help

I understand that everyone wants to save money by doing their own 'gunsmithing', but throating may not be the place to learn. I suggest returning to your gunsmith as mentioned above with a dummy cartridge to allow him to throat your chamber using the dummy as a gauge.

:)

I understand that throating is better done by a gunsmith. That is why I drove the hour to see if he could fix it. All he had was a SAMMI reamer and it did not resolve the problem. I guess I am asking if renting a throater is a better option than buying a custom reamer. I will rent the equipment and take it back to the gunsmith. He is a great guy and lets me help out and watch on the little projects I have taken to him. He also told me to quit being cheap and just bring the actions to him to chamber. I will do that on the next one. But for now I like tinkering. I also have a 7-08 I would like to throat just a bit more to buy a little more room for the 168's. That's why I am looking at the throater vs a reamer.

https://4drentals.com/products/precthroat/

I've done it by hand on a couple of 28 Noslers and .280AI and I have a lathe. I did use a fired case and cut it right at the web, I bored it .4375" for a bushing to support the rear of the uni-throater. Go slow and use a borescope (Teslong) to check your progress. Make a dummy case with the length your looking for. Remove the firing pin assembly and spring ejector from you bolt and after your start cutting, Check with dummy case until your the depth you want to be.

Last edited:
I've did it on several 6.5 Grendel chambers, I bought a throater because of the number of barrels I was doing. The amount of material you are removing is miniscule, and doing it by hand requires a very light touch.......I posted a thread on how I did it on this site, but in short I made a shell casing bushing to make my results repeatable across multiple barrels. Now that I have a lathe, I'd definitely use that-its much more controllable. It's a risk, only you can determine your skills vs the risk vs the reward!

I bought a group of throaters awhile back and am 99% sure there is a 7mm throater in the bunch......I moved and my tooling is with my lathe in a friend's shop a few hours away. If you want, I'll confirm next time I'm there and let you know.

I've extended the throats on two rifle chambers after purchasing and using the PTG Uni-Throaters.
It's a decent option. But if you're not mechanically minded, might better hire a gunsmith.

The steel cuts away easily, and the throat is extended quickly. Impossible to shorten the throat, if you cut it more deeply than you should have.

Uni-throaters have a typical 30 degree shoulder, and you've got a 40 degree shoulder in your chamber.
Personally, I wouldn't rely on that minimal contact to assure concentricity and avoid overcutting.
I use throaters with a snug fitting pilot and a micrometer stop to control depth of cut- and IMO would be a better way to skin this cat than using the uni-throater in an Ackley chamber.

My PTG Uni-Throaters use interchangeable pilots. The hobby/home gunsmith may not have the various sized pilots. My PTG Uni-Throaters also have a micrometer stop to control depth of cut.

I lost no precision in either rifle extending their throats using the Uni-Throater. Actually seemed to gain some better precision in the 338 Edge.

I dont know how many times I've heard this story with pre fits, people ask questions when you order about the reamer being used with a pre fit or a chamber job for that matter. You should ask for a print if they can't provide or tell you what NK size or freebore it has go somewhere else that can.
Just 2 or 3 questions in the beginning saves alot of headaches.

My PTG Uni-Throaters use interchangeable pilots. The hobby/home gunsmith may not have the various sized pilots. My PTG Uni-Throaters also have a micrometer stop to control depth of cut.

I lost no precision in either rifle extending their throats using the Uni-Throater. Actually seemed to gain some better precision in the 338 Edge.
I wasn't referring to the pilot- rather the guide that has the shoulder to align it in the chamber. Because you have a pilot with a 30 degree shoulder mating into a chamber with a 40 degree shoulder there will be minimal-rather than full contact which would assure it is centered. I've not used it but geometry dictates it's going to sit lower and make limited contact.

I keep uni-throaters on hand for every caliber I use (24, 26, 28, 30, 33). I have a 243win barrel that just barely chambers factory Winchester 100gr soft points. Sierra 90gr won't even seat at data (2.650") length, it's .024" short. If you buy factory pre-fits you can run into those problems, unless you send them a dummy round and have the pre-fit maker throat it for you and/or have them check against their chamberings.