Gunwerks BR2500 Rangefinder

dirthead1

I'm very interested in this new rangefinder from Gunwerks. I know it's only been out a few weeks, but have any of you had any hands on experience with it? I'm a little scared to drop that much coin without hearing some real world reviews.

I would like to know as well how it performs against the sig 2400. also, which one is easier to use

I have eyeballed the G7's for several years and they continue to make improvements. However, why would they keep the ballistic solver limited to only 1400 yards?
Is it a software thing, or maybe they don't want folks shooting at game past that?

Ha ha ha
I gotcha, so is he passively imposing limits on his customers?
What if a fella wanted to go shoot rocks at a mile? I know it's still a range finder and there are ballistic apps for that, but why would I want to do that when I have a $1500+ piece of gear that should do that for me?
I believe that shooting targets past your self imposed limits serves several purposes, which include enhancing/extending your abilities and seem to make closer shots seem easier.

Well, I ended up buy a Sig 2400. I really like most everything about the BR2500, less two things. I've had a Terrapin, so I know how well they range. I was hoping to get something with that ranging ability, coupled with ballistics in the same piece of gear. Since there weren't are first hand reviews of the BR2500, I decided to buy the Sig, since there seem to be lots of glowing reviews since it came out.

The lack of ballistics past 1400 yards was one issue for me. I shoot a lot of steel, and want to stretch that out to a mile or so in the future. Capping ballistics at 1400 yards would require me to have another solver. Which I do. I have a Kestrel 5700, but my reasoning for buy one of these is to not need two devices in the field. Secondly, I'm used to Applied Ballistics, and used to using an app to setup gun profiles. I like that feature. If I understand the way the BR2500 works correctly, everything is setup on the unit itself (which could be a benefit for some people). I just prefer the app approach.

I've had the 2400 about a week, and have been able to test it's ranging ability on objects that I also have tested with a Bushnell Elite 1-Mile and a Terrapin. The Sig 2400 is really good. Is it a Terrapin? No, it's not, but it is close. I could range virtually anything out to 2000 yds. Obviously, the larger and more reflective the object, the further it would range. The Terrapin that I had would range anything out to at least 2600 yds, some things much further. The Bushnell will give me ranges from around 800 yards on steel plates, out to 1575 on a white concrete tower, and 1200 - 1300 on tree lines and large rocks.

I haven't used the Sig in the field as of yet, so can't comment on ranging animals or on it's performance providing corrections. Setup is very easy, and it's a simple system to us. I think for all practical purposes, it ranges as close to a Terrapin as any unit I've used. I really like the size of the unit and the accessories that are provided.

I wish there would have been some reviews of the BR2500, but I guess there just aren't many in the hands of shooters yet. It looks like a very good unit.

Ha ha ha
I gotcha, so is he passively imposing limits on his customers?
What if a fella wanted to go shoot rocks at a mile? I know it's still a range finder and there are ballistic apps for that, but why would I want to do that when I have a $1500+ piece of gear that should do that for me?
I believe that shooting targets past your self imposed limits serves several purposes, which include enhancing/extending your abilities and seem to make closer shots seem easier.
I agree thats why i bought a terrapin for elr shooting. I have a set of Leica geovids hd-b for hunting and shooters app on my phone for everything else.

Just received my G7 BR25. Has a lot of the same as the BR2. Also just read the article in Western Hunter. Looks like for hunting purposes the BR25 wins hands down. For ELR one may have to look for other apps. Have not used in the field yet besides some ranging out at the farm to 2100yds (known distance). Hit 4 out of 5 times within a second. pretty impressive. Cannot wait till elk season to put the to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.