Gundog First Aid

brcfo_outdoors

Starting out with my first gundog for upland game and was curious what others bring along to keep their four legged friends up and running. Looking to put together a small kit with cuts, spiny plants/fox tails, etc in mind. Hoping to tap into the knowledge base here. Any other tips, tricks, or items that make hunting with the dog easier are also welcome. Thank you!
20230705_085822.jpg

NSAIDs (acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) are quite dangerous for dogs if you don't give them the perfect dose, so I'd consult a vet for your dog specifically regarding pain relievers.

I have a pair of dog booties I always take with, in case a foot gets torn up. Don't need all four, as I don't have them wear them all the time, but good in case of a minor pad injury, so they can keep rolling.

If you live/hunt in areas where buzzworms are encountered, I'd highly recommend snake conditioning training. You can do it yourself with an e-collar and a harmless snake you find, or find a vet/trainer/organization that offers a class.

Get a small sticker picker to carry along (with metal teeth). Furrier dogs like yours (and mine) can get way out of hand quickly...
IMG_1675.JPG

Hydrogen peroxide and/or activated charcoal and/or milk of magnesia for poisoning. Can induce vomiting with H2O2, and AC/MOM will help bind and pass toxic stuff. This is another one you should consider carefully, and discuss with a vet, as H2O2 is a non-trivial intervention. H2O2 also good for antiseptic obviously.

Not much else comes to mind that isn't also included in a normal "human" first aid kit (e.g. gauze, tweezers, tape, etc.)

Convenience items...

1) Collapsible water bowl. I like the silicone ones that flatten. A really small one, that they can just fit their face in is best for hiking. Less water waste, and less to carry.
2) Towel. Dogs are gross. Really, really gross. When yours finds that perfectly rank dead snake lying in a fresh cow pie, you'll be glad you have a towel...
3) Paracord/line that can be used for a longer tie out/leash in a pinch.

Congrats on your new partner! Watching the pure joy of a dog on the hunt is about as good as it gets.

As monster toms said super glue works well for cut ears. I always carry EMT gel, bandage and a small pair of needle nose pliers.
Most hunting dog supply companies have different pre assembled first aid kits that may fit your needs in the areas that you and your partner frequently go. (I use gun dog supply)
I commend you for thinking about this BEFORE it's needed.

NSAIDs (acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) are quite dangerous for dogs if you don't give them the perfect dose, so I'd consult a vet for your dog specifically regarding pain relievers.

I have a pair of dog booties I always take with, in case a foot gets torn up. Don't need all four, as I don't have them wear them all the time, but good in case of a minor pad injury, so they can keep rolling.

If you live/hunt in areas where buzzworms are encountered, I'd highly recommend snake conditioning training. You can do it yourself with an e-collar and a harmless snake you find, or find a vet/trainer/organization that offers a class.

Get a small sticker picker to carry along (with metal teeth). Furrier dogs like yours (and mine) can get way out of hand quickly...
View attachment 476203

Hydrogen peroxide and/or activated charcoal and/or milk of magnesia for poisoning. Can induce vomiting with H2O2, and AC/MOM will help bind and pass toxic stuff. This is another one you should consider carefully, and discuss with a vet, as H2O2 is a non-trivial intervention. H2O2 also good for antiseptic obviously.

Not much else comes to mind that isn't also included in a normal "human" first aid kit (e.g. gauze, tweezers, tape, etc.)

Convenience items...

1) Collapsible water bowl. I like the silicone ones that flatten. A really small one, that they can just fit their face in is best for hiking. Less water waste, and less to carry.
2) Towel. Dogs are gross. Really, really gross. When yours finds that perfectly rank dead snake lying in a fresh cow pie, you'll be glad you have a towel...
3) Paracord/line that can be used for a longer tie out/leash in a pinch.

Congrats on your new partner! Watching the pure joy of a dog on the hunt is about as good as it gets.

Lots of great info here, thank you!

I am fortunate that my sister is a vet so I have and can consult were her on specific med options. I hadn't thought about including a pain killer, I am curious if you have ever found it necessary? My family's dog as a kid got into some Advil and had to get activated charcoal and our neighbor's Australian Shepherd had to get put down for a similar reason so I am quite hesitant.

Lining up some rattlesnake avoidance training at a local kennel as they are all over the place down here, in fact we ran into one shortly after I took that picture. Figure I at least do the initial training/conditioning there and then I can reinforce with the training collar in the field. He of course doesn't even notice the gopher snakes, but the rattlers are extremely exciting for him.

Any brand/model recommendations on sticker pickers? I have been mostly pulling burrs and fox tails by hand and then trimming out the very worst ones. Looks like you have quite a bit of experience on that front.

vet wrap and super glue.

As monster toms said super glue works well for cut ears. I always carry EMT gel, bandage and a small pair of needle nose pliers.
Most hunting dog supply companies have different pre assembled first aid kits that may fit your needs in the areas that you and your partner frequently go. (I use gun dog supply)
I commend you for thinking about this BEFORE it's needed.

I will look at glue options and the other items, thank you both.

Something with straight, relatively closely spaced teeth seems to work the best, but I deal mostly with hound's tongue, which is pure evil, spawn of the devil kinda s#!t as you can tell from the photo...Relatively small, hard, seed type burrs.

Got the ones I use at Walmart I think, but something like this...
Amazon product ASIN B00DNN8RSI
Or perhaps a more compact version for while you're on the hoof, like the smaller one of this set...
Amazon product ASIN B01IFQX1O2
Some spray on hair conditioner stuff really helps them detangle and slide out, though I'm not sure it would be worth carrying in the field. Perhaps a bottle in the truck would be a good idea though. I'll also sometimes pretreat the doglets with the stuff before heading out into bad hounds tongue spots.

I've not had to give painkillers in the field, and like you, would be hesitant unless it was a pretty serious injury, and I was a long way from the vet.

Ibuprofen and Naproxen are the worst of the NSAIDs for animals. From my understanding, there's just about no reason to ever risk administering either of those, but I believe acetaminophen is not as bad when dosed correctly, and aspirin even safer. None of them are as safe for animals as humans, so dosage is very important. Of course, discus this with the vet before proceeding. I know there are alternatives for dogs, so perhaps your sister can get you some safer pain meds for doggo that you can keep in your kit

My sister is also a vet (ophthalmologist though), which has really been a bonus.

Our NAVHDA chapter has had vets present at our training days and that helped us sort out a first aid kit for our dogs. We keep all the notes in the kit as well. Super glue is in our kit too. I've had to patch breast plate skin when my boy decided a try and run through barbed wire, lol. Still missing a square of fabric from the bottom of a pair of field pants on that onee, lol.

Attachments

• Pet first aid.jpg
    Pet first aid.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Pet first aid open.jpg
    Pet first aid open.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 36
  • pet first aid open 4.jpg
    pet first aid open 4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 41
  • pet first aid notes 5.jpg
    pet first aid notes 5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 46
I think everyone pretty well covered your needs, so after 15 years hunting with my GSP from Montana to Texas, I'll only mention what I have used.
I had him cut early, so he was never interested in other dogs, only hunting…PERFECT!
He got into a skunk 1 time and after that he stayed far enough they couldn't spray him, but he still barked at them. Women's spray douches worked.
He sliced his ears open a few times on barb wire fences and as mentioned by others, hydrogen peroxide cleaning, lots of paper towels drying and super glue closing.
He barked at porcupines, but kept his distance.
He chased a deer once and I burned him immediately. He never chased another, but only watched them.
As a pup he caught a water born bug (giardia), but it didn't last long enough to take him to a vet.
Took him to snake school, BRUTAL! The only rattlers we saw after that, he would not get close to.
Excellent traveling companion! I miss that dog almost every day.
1693076138741.jpeg

Every rig I drive has some rolls of bright colored sticky vet wrap for everybody, but I also carry a disposable skin stapler and lidocane when I'm hunting with the dog. The skin stapler is a worse case deal. It can be a long, long drive to a vet, and I ran into a situation one Friday where I could't be seen til Monday.-WW

If you hunt in areas people trap carry stuff to get your dog out of a trap quickly. For snares a cable cutter like this works well:

It's much easier to cut cable with something like this than a pair of dikes or wire cutters on a multi tool.

For other traps, do some research on what people trap in the area you hunt, what kind of traps they tend to use, and how to get your dog out of one quickly.