Groundhog Safari

10 States have no Sunday hunting laws (my state of Connecticut is among them :( :( :( )

It is a religious thing from the 1700's and when ever a state is considering repealing the Sunday hunting ban, the church goers pour it on to their representatives.

The churches are afraid the basket donations will go down, because the wage earners will be out hunting, instead of falling asleep to a loooooooong sermon.

OMG thats just toooo Funny !!!!
You know what i would do ,,,, go to church and when that basket is passed around, i would drop five .223 rounds in that basket !!!!!

Think what kind of message that would send to those no hunting on sunday states if every hunter did the same on sunday ,,,, sunday after sunday after sunday !!!!

OMG that's just toooo Funny !!!!
You know what i would do ,,,, go to church and when that basket is passed around, i would drop five .223 rounds in that basket !!!!!

Think what kind of message that would send to those no hunting on Sunday states if every hunter did the same on Sunday... Sunday after Sunday after Sunday !!!!

Well... there is hope.

Virginia used to be one of those states, and last year, they dropped it. And more and more, there are challenges to these stupid laws and the laws falling.

Despite what the media is saying, we ARE winning the anti-hunting and anti-gun battles.

Randy: What do you have your B&S mounted on? I also own one, but have no way to mount it on something as I can't figure out how to attach it to a tripod.

And how much trouble did you have finding fields to shoot over?

Randy: What do you have your B&S mounted on? I also own one, but have no way to mount it on something as I can't figure out how to attach it to a tripod.

And how much trouble did you have finding fields to shoot over?

My Barr & Stroud is different from most. I had the mount made from Stainless steel lock rings welded to a base plate. These are common in the dairy industry such as where milk is produced. All mounted on a large aluminum tripod. Most have a single thread (maybe 3/16) size the is in the middle of the tool.

What model number do you have if you know ? Some had a nylon strap on the units. I can email you a picture if it will help you. Send email address.

As far as permission to shoot, shooting hogs has been my no 1 lifelong pursuit so I spend a lot of off season time finding places and now that I am retired, I go where they are a real problem to shoot them so am welcome most places in the area. Coyote effectiveness has caused me to have to travel a long way to shoot long.

I just shot Groundhog #100 and #101 for this Summer. I do have more to take care of, eating the bean, big time...

Hogginking

Good morning Randy....
How is your quest going?
Could you post a picture (or few) or your Barr & Stroud with mount.
I have a 80cm Wild on tripod, and a Swedish Periscope.
The Swedish Periscope has a short stub to support it, but it is a single leg - the unit was designed to be held and ranged and then hidden, so it didn't stay set on a tripor - I want to build a cradle of some sorts for it.

you can kill them all.....i used to kill 100-150 or so a year here in western nys.....then we had a coyote explosion....now, i can not find a chuck unless it is in someone's yard... they are all gone from the farm fields, or at least so depleted, that i would not shoot them anyway

I have chased ground hogs for years. Hunted a lot near south west Pa. line in WV. Mines moved in, Now houses in fields I used to hunt. Down in WV had permission on a large working farm. We had one field, 420 yd. to west end, 600 yd. to east end. We set up in the shade in a hay shed. Great Place 15 hogs an afternoon was normal. This field was in a desolate place along a river. The Coyotes moved in and the Ground Hogs disappeared. Then lightning hit the hay shed and it burned down. Farmer built a barn at the east end of the field. How times change. 243 Win. 222 Rem. and 264 WM was my rifles of choice.

Good morning Randy....
How is your quest going?
Could you post a picture (or few) or your Barr & Stroud with mount.
I have a 80cm Wild on tripod, and a Swedish Periscope.
The Swedish Periscope has a short stub to support it, but it is a single leg - the unit was designed to be held and ranged and then hidden, so it didn't stay set on a tripor - I want to build a cradle of some sorts for it.

call me and I will try to help you with a workable solution to mount the Optical Rangefinder.

This past July is one of the wettest I can remember here is SW PA. I also see the mining companies taking more prime farm land. While I've found two "new" farms to hunt on I've seen one hog on both of them combined in the last two years. Funny -the owners mentioned seeing coyotes all of a sudden. Oh how I'd love to see a few of those in the scope.

Dreaming of the old days,
Mark - N3RDV

This past July is one of the wettest I can remember here is SW PA. I also see the mining companies taking more prime farm land. While I've found two "new" farms to hunt on I've seen one hog on both of them combined in the last two years. Funny -the owners mentioned seeing coyotes all of a sudden. Oh how I'd love to see a few of those in the scope.

Dreaming of the old days,
Mark - N3RDV
I spoke to a farmer from Greene Co. last week. He told me he hasn't seen a groundhog in his fields in a few years. Said the yotes got them wiped out. I grew up shooting groundhogs in Greene Co. Never thought there would be day when there wouldn't be any.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.