Great Podcast on terminal performance.

It was definitely an interesting podcast. There was definitely more right than wrong in it. To me the only things he didn't cover well were:

Over-expansion - basically some folks prove through gel testing, experience and I've seen on game where a bullet hit the shoulder knuckle or hip knuckle…..ball joint and the bullet lacks toughness causing like 1/2 to 3/4 to disintegrate, blow up, over expand, become lead dust, use your own words, it is gone. Then a piece weighing 20-30% tries to go further causing minimal tissue damage. These 3 legged animals can go a long way….ask me how I know!

Non-expansion - Some match bullets, I can't tell you which ones, maybe older designs, maybe new, you decide…..will pencil through and basically create a caliber sized hole. Not every shot. For example, Berger's should expand due to thin jackets, air behind the nose, etc, but some times fold and tumble with minimal wounding effect..maybe good enough, but not always. So, why do some bullets tumble, especially at 1500-1800fps?

Tumbling effectiveness - sometimes this is a killer, sometimes not. Why?

800yds on game…..can he really put 10 shots in a row from stepping out of the truck into a pie plate? Few can….from field positions. I'm really not doubting him, but I hear this talked about in the same condescending tone all over…..like, "are you an idiot? You can't just step out and kill an antelope at 800?" Often sited are Benchrest or Fclass shooters who ….step out with proven loads….shoot 1-10 sighters, then shoot good, not great groups for score. I think Eric Cortina was even quoted saying 1 moa all day every day would win F class. Benchrest guys shoot amazing with 50 lb rifles, perfect rests and yep, 1-25 sighters before the score shots. My point is, first shot to 800 is hugely different than second shot to 800.

Bullets turning off course - why do some, many bullets turn 30-40 degrees off course expanding? This is why I like pretty mushroom hunting bullets. Those don't make a right turn off a heavy bone.

Last edited:
Hy all
I think some of you might remember when 243 was upcoming . At this time some guys was loading them with60-70 grain bullets because in some rifle they was shooting really good / then they used it for huntin on roe 1-200 yards . The animal dropped where it was standing - the holy grale was found . Till they skinned the animal and figured bloodshot from front leg to back leg . On the other hand some guys used factory cartridges for heavy game and was surprised the animal didn't trop on the point - I think not worth to talk about . But it happened . A guy I know told me his sun was hunting with a 338 lapua and he sold it because all animals didn't fall at the point .i said it's sad I didn't know - I would have got me a good gun for cheap. The guy asked my why I say this and I answered I have used 338 lapua without any problems on animals from 40-200 lbs - it's just to select the correct bullet

[/QUOTE]
Hi all
A guy I know told me his son was hunting with a 338 lapua and he sold it because all animals didn't fall at the point. I said it's sad I didn't know - I would have got me a good gun for cheap. The guy asked my why I say this and I answered I have used 338 lapua without any problems on animals from 40-200 lbs - it's just to select the correct bullet

Agreed. Bullet selection (terminal performance) plays a huge role in any cartridge performance on game. On the whole of my experiences, I'd rank it #2. RIght after #1, animal profile & hit location.

With extreme bullet failures, like complete failure to expand, it has occasionally ranked #1.