Garmin Oregon 650T ...

FEENIX

... just got mine over the weekend and all I have done thus far is remove it for a picture to share. I will be purchasing the OnXMaps for MT too. Looking forward to using it this season and any end-users out there to share their hands on experience(s).

Oregon%20650T_zpsdr45xnpp.jpg

Cheers!

Ed

Garmins are very easy to use. You will get the hang of it in no time

I sure hope so, and thanks for the vote of confidence. Below is my old GPS if it gives you any idea how old it is; surprisingly, it still works. IIRC, I purchased it in 1992/1993 time frame. :D:rolleyes::)

Attachments

• Eagle GPS.jpg
    Eagle GPS.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 240
Hi FEENIX,

I've just bought the same model. I've never owned a GPS. I've always relied on a compass & maps. I get the concept of how a GPS unit works. But there are so many functions on the Oregon 560T, that I doubt if I'd use 25% of them.

There have been more than a few times in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado where I became navagation-challenged: politically correct BS for lost. When such conditions arose, I sat down, drink water, get out my compass, and think. However, I can see the wisdom of having a GPS show me how to get my butt unlost.

I'll be hunting a different area of the same buck deer unit of Utah this year. While I'll still rely upon my compass for navigation, I am going to use my new GPS to precisely mark waypoints of where I'll hope to see HUGE bucks.

I bought a new SUV last year. The woman who sold it to me asked me about a navigation system. I told her that I can look at a map and figure out how to get to a location. Or I'll use my iPhone's iMaps. She smiled and told me that she didn't have a navigation system in her pickup. She used her iPhone.

Hi FEENIX,

I've just bought the same model. I've never owned a GPS. I've always relied on a compass & maps. I get the concept of how a GPS unit works. But there are so many functions on the Oregon 560T, that I doubt if I'd use 25% of them.

There have been more than a few times in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado where I became navagation-challenged: politically correct BS for lost. When such conditions arose, I sat down, drink water, get out my compass, and think. However, I can see the wisdom of having a GPS show me how to get my butt unlost.

I'll be hunting a different area of the same buck deer unit of Utah this year. While I'll still rely upon my compass for navigation, I am going to use my new GPS to precisely mark waypoints of where I'll hope to see HUGE bucks.

I bought a new SUV last year. The woman who sold it to me asked me about a navigation system. I told her that I can look at a map and figure out how to get to a location. Or I'll use my iPhone's iMaps. She smiled and told me that she didn't have a navigation system in her pickup. She used her iPhone.

Tom,

LOL! Learning is still in progress and might be on the same boat as you are as far as being able to master all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for the PM and happy safe hunting. Cheers!

Ed

Finally got to use it last weekend and it's simply awesome. My buddies and I were exploring new hunting grounds and convinced that you pretty much need a GPS to hunt as the maps (either outdated or not detailed enough) we have does not define the clear boundaries.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.