Fitting The Long Range Rifle By Shawn Carlock

You will be suprised how much difference 1" will make. Now the are angle is not the end all be all of rifle fitting. There are always some comprimises to be made to get the "best "fit. If your arms are a little long in proportion to your shoulder, neck, cheek relationship then you will not reach the 90 degree angle very easy. It is better to give up some angle than to comprmise eye relief and cheek fit. If for instance you fit the rifle based on the arm angle only you could be way too far back on the rifle with you face. I have always believed that you should fit your rifle from the eye backward, that is to place you face on the cheekpiece where it is at a comfortable location, fit the LOP so that the stock slides in the shoulder pocket, now the rifle should be mounted and the cheek should find a repeatable spot on the cheekrest, if the arm is 90 great if no so be it, if it is off alot from 90 there are problem some shooting positions or body mechanics issues to be addressed. When this is done mount the scope for proper eyerelief, and adjust the cheekpiece for correct height. This is how I usually aproach it. Hope this helps.

OK...that makes sense. Thank you, Shawn. I've been enjoying 'Send It', btw.

I just picked up a sendero in 300 rum and i seem to be having some problems with the fit-up. I'm 6'3" with long arms and large hands with long fingers. Gripping the rifle comfortably, the trigger rests perfectly dead center on the middle pad of my finger instead of the middle of the tip, like in your article. In order to get my finger to be proper on the trigger, i have to adjust my grip so im holding a bit further back and by doing so, i have to wrap my thumb around the tip of the comb and then i end up with a bit of a funky grip. The more i grip it, the more comfortable it seems. Other then that, the rifle fits great. Any suggestions?

Two things to look at there your length of pull is probably 1" short, try taping a spacer on to see if increasing the LOP make the shifted grip more comfortable and natural. If you still have issues or don't like increased LOP you can build up the grip area with automotive bondo, use the fibre filled version as it is much tougher. Add some to the grip area put on a nytrel glove, touch you finger to the trigger, rotate your hand around the grip and form the bondo with you hand. Let the bondo set and shape to your needs. Once you have added and shaped to your liking refinish the stock and it will fit like you want it to. A note about increasing your LOP. If your 6'3" like me, you have probably shot factory rifle all of your life. When you increase the LOP to the correct length it will feel wierd for a while and takes some getting used to.

A rather informative article mate.
I have built several rifles for myself and modified the stocks so that when I throw it to my shoulder every time it comes up in the same position. When I close my eyes and do the same, each and every time, I am looking straight down the tube when I open my eyes.
I once had the opportunity to discuss this face to face with a military trained sniper. he said then that the contact point repeatability was extremely important, it should fit like a shot gun, like it was a piece of clothing, tailored to fit in every way.
Keep the article coming mate. I enjoy them.

I have a 300RUM that the scope will always comeback and buck me right above the eye. I have a 50 mm scope so I have to use high mounts on it. Due to the hight mounts I have to position my cheek higher on the stock and not where I usually would put it. Is an improper cheek weld the cause the of the gun always coming back to nail me in the forehead?

Well writen Shawn. You have an ability to put into words what is in the back of peoples minds, but cant quite explain. I think ''Andy'' is my long lost twin:D.
Is there a manufacturer that offers an adjustable cheek piece (without ordering the whole stock) simmilar to the one in your pictures? If so, Id like to know where I can get ahold of one.

I have a 300RUM that the scope will always comeback and buck me right above the eye. I have a 50 mm scope so I have to use high mounts on it. Due to the hight mounts I have to position my cheek higher on the stock and not where I usually would put it. Is an improper cheek weld the cause the of the gun always coming back to nail me in the forehead?

Might just be an issue of the scope having insufficient eye relief for the caliber...or...shooting in weird field positions...or scope needs to be moved forward...or LOP is too short and you re crowding the scope...might be any of these things. I have a scope I love dearly, but it has dinged me a few times because it doesn't have enough eye relief on highest power or shooting up angle...Check these variables and you'll probably find the answer 30-338 good luck

Might just be an issue of the scope having insufficient eye relief for the caliber...or...shooting in weird field positions...or scope needs to be moved forward...or LOP is too short and you re crowding the scope...might be any of these things. I have a scope I love dearly, but it has dinged me a few times because it doesn't have enough eye relief on highest power or shooting up angle...Check these variables and you'll probably find the answer 30-338 good luck

+1 w/ 30-338. Ive been bit, as we all have at one time or another. It was with a buddys rifle and the ''old school'' Leupold(metal ring) Took a LONG time to get comphy behind a scope again. I had a ttl of 1 7/8'' (including recoil pad) added onto the back of most my Winchesters to get the proper L.O.P. And adjusted my scopes out as far as I could w/o getting any hazing or cloudieness in any of my shooting positions. Im only 5'-10'', but Ive got monkey arms and a Very long neck. When I cradle into my Rifle my L.O.P. and cheek weld look akkward to short(normal) necked folks. Still working on the cheek weld. Now that Ive seen Shawn's article I know my suspicions were correct.

P.S. Disreguard my ''stupid question'' 2 posts above, about finding a manufacturer for cheek weld.
Jmden sent me a P.M. and Ill be ordering a D.E. adjustable cheek weld very soon. D.E. has a cool web site too. No dang popups and flashing sale adds, just good, practicle, usefull, info and supplies. Way to go Shawn. Im sorry I had no idea you made them or Id have looked to D.E. the first time.

Thanks for writting this article, Shawn. I am one of millions that shot from the bench and think that will do for the field. After I read the article, I got my two most used guns I shoot out and did the hand positions for the trigger. I learned alot from reading this piece.

Jason gun)

Shawn,

Thanks again for the great read... I went to the range and forgot all about my cheek weld and asked someone about my target and the pattern of the holes and he replied your Cheek Weld or trigger pull is doing that... I don't know how many time I've read this and I still let it slip and had my group open up...lolgun)

Steve

I tried to send a post before this one and it didn't go through, or at least I don't think it did. If did opps...

Even though it's a couple of years old - it's a very valuable article. Well worth getting back to the basics of shooter position, cheek weld, trigger control, and heck - I even still use a sling most of the time in the field - one more basic marksmanship tool.

Good work on the article Shawn.

Regards, Guy

Even though it's a couple of years old - it's a very valuable article. Well worth getting back to the basics of shooter position, cheek weld, trigger control, and heck - I even still use a sling most of the time in the field - one more basic marksmanship tool.

Good work on the article Shawn.

Regards, Guy

Funny thing about the truth......Its always true........:)

Good read, Just the info I was looking for. Glad to see the group shot by the same rifle, looks like something I'm dealing with.

I just had a 338 Edge built and am having trouble with repeatability of groups, sometimes bugholes and sometimes it strings them. Quite strange, I believe it has a lot to do with stock fit and proper postitioning of the scope.

For 1, I think my scope is a tad too far forward, I have to creep forward to get a full field of view.

2nd I think the occular isn't focused properly, seems like I'm too far into the side focus at 100 yards. I would assume for 100 yards the side focus should be near the beginning of its travel. If this is the case I'm assuming paralax could be to blame for some of it?

3rd I don't think my kids camo glove duct taped to my comb is a consistant repeatable platform to get a solid cheek weld on...lol but my strap on tacticool style cheekpiece hasn't arrived yet. I definitly need some comb lift on this jobbie. But at least is camo!!!

4th Maybe the load needs some fine tuning but its hard to believe it could be that tempermental.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.