Extreme Weather Coyotes

ADMIN

Administrator
My hunting partner, Ben Cade and I were hunting a pasture near an abandoned farm house with goats, horses and a handful of cattle there. A long narrow grove shielded us from the wind momentarily and for a minute we thought it wasn't so bad. Reality set in when we got on the other side of the windbreak and the wind was once again blowing snow and taking our breath away. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Extreme Weather Coyotes, By Mark Brendemuehl. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Great article, Mark. Made me cold just reading it! Cold is one thing but cold with bitter wind is another thing all together. Hardcord stuff. I enjoyed the photos too. Some wooly coyotes right there.

TT- thanks for the comments. Sorry, I haven't been on here much the last few weeks. I have been trying to get photos of the local duck population and fighting the snow!
Yes, it was brutally cold, but, hunts like that you never forget. Heck if it was easy, it wouldnt be fun right??
Hope you had a great season.
Mark

Good read and the coolest part of it all is that pic where you fellas are laying down. Unless I am mistaken you are facing roughly north overlooking a good sized prairie dog town on some govt land. I know that exact spot and have killed coyotes there as well as a pile of PDs....good spot. Just cool to see. I recognized it immediately...

Jamie from MN

take care and once again, good read!:)

Jamie- Thanks for the kind words. It was fantastic hunt. You are correct in the location, that I am sure. We only hunted that spot there for a day. We got there and it was full of human tracks and truck tracks, and we tried it anyway since we drove so far to just be there. Neat spot, and it made for some cool hero shots when we were done.
Thanks again- take care
Mark

Human tracks...hunters or human tracks rig workers? tons of rig workers anymore. a decade ago you would never have seen a single foot print that time of year....its a shame IMO. Its over run these days but its still a **** cool spot!

Jamie

Hunter for sure. Found where they made sets, and where they were walking, no one would, more so in those temps, unless they were hunting. Neat area. I would like to go back and shoot some p-dogs there.. that could be fun!

Its a fun spot but gets hit really hard with all the rig workers around now. If this pic is very old, I can tell you there is a rig 1/4 mile straight south of the town now...big one and that little two track that winds all the way in there is pretty much a main road these days. I was just there this past January and the two track used to run right up to that steep ledge you fellas were looking over but now its blocked off and runs way back in to the west(unless something has changed since)....oil is doing lots of damage to that area these days....pity.....

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. my new motto: avoid the oil and find the dogs...lol

Jamie

I'd suggest a pair of MSR snowshoes, particularly the Lightning Ascent models. They don't slip on crusty snow and are very durable, unlike some "recreational' snowshoes.

Mitten shells are good over gloves in extreme cold. Mittens are a requirement for winter outdoor schools as a safety item. I prefer OR Gore-Tex shells.

The author's advice on having two sets of gloves is good. Or you can have one pair of GTX glove shells and two pair of removable fleece liners.

Closed cell 3 mm neoprene diver's sox (worn over thin poly liner socks) are far better than heavy wool socks B/C they keep all your sweat inside so it does not compromise your boots' insulation. Plus the closed cell neoprene is warmer than the warmest wool socks.

As a former Nordic and alpine ski patroller and winter survival instructor for the US Army I make these suggestions from experience.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.