Extractors, Extractors, Extractors....

Joel Russo

We got tired of using inferior quality extractors made from the only supplier in the game. The only way to control quality, is to make everything yourself. So, we drew the print, and started making them ourselves.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 137
That's awesome bud! Keep us posted and keep up the good work. Maybe someday I can buy an Axiom to build off of. Right now the new job I landed (in a situational emergency) is not paying well, and they're already talking about cutting our hours back to only 40 a week. So, maybe I can find a new job making more $$$. Then comes more toys. Y'all hiring? :D

And why is your extractor any better than a Sako or Tubb ?

I'm not sure why or where that comes from, but have you not seen the quality rifles and actions that Joel produces? Everything he makes is top-notch. I wouldn't see why his extractors would not be top-tier as well.

And why is your extractor any better than a Sako or Tubb ?

We utilize a mini M16 extractor on all our actions. To the best of my knowledge, David Tubb does not make them. He makes the Sako style, which can be used in a Remington bolt with modification.
Not sure the mini M16 is any better than the Sako, but that was not my point. My point was that quality and availability was a significant problem, so we took matters into our own hands, and now control both. In talking with some of the other custom action manufacturers, I was surprised to find out they are doing the same thing. We found that that majority of shooters wanted the mini over the Sako.

I'm not sure why or where that comes from, but have you not seen the quality rifles and actions that Joel produces? Everything he makes is top-notch. I wouldn't see why his extractors would not be top-tier as well.

Thanks Mud.. get ahold of me when your close, I'll help,you the rest of the way.

There was no mention of which extractors were classed as inferior ???
They stated that they made better one . So the simple question is why would their extractor be better than a Sako or a Tubb ?
If you are going to say yours is better then you should be prepared for the question why is it better ?

We utilize a mini M16 extractor on all our actions. To the best of my knowledge, David Tubb does not make them. He makes the Sako style, which can be used in a Remington bolt with modification.
Not sure the mini M16 is any better than the Sako, but that was not my point. My point was that quality and availability was a significant problem, so we took matters into our own hands, and now control both. In talking with some of the other custom action manufacturers, I was surprised to find out they are doing the same thing. We found that that majority of shooters wanted the mini over the Sako.

You never mentioned which extractors you classed as inferior .
You never mentioned you were talking specifically about an M 16 type .
What you have said is not a reason why the one you make is better than the one your were buying from the one and only supplier .
Yours is a better extractor , why ?

You never mentioned which extractors you classed as inferior .
You never mentioned you were talking specifically about an M 16 type .
What you have said is not a reason why the one you make is better than the one your were buying from the one and only supplier .
Yours is a better extractor , why ?

We took 10 of their mini M16 extractors and used an optical comparator to take measurements and tolerances off the areas that we deemed critical areas. The critical dimensions were all over the place. This translates to extraction issues while placed in service.
Aesthetically, most of them were rusted, which caused us to perform another operation to make them serviceable.

We got tired of using inferior quality extractors made from the only supplier in the game. The only way to control quality, is to make everything yourself. So, we drew the print, and started making them ourselves.
Joel good to see you guys are still working hard on producing a superior product.

I have to say though that as a guy who made a living with an M-16 for a long time the extractor was the single biggest source of critical failures at the worst possible moments due to the retaining pins breaking/shearing off. I hope you're incorporating a heavier duty pin of a larger diameter than most.

We actually are using the largest retaining pin that we could. We didn't like the roll pin style, so we went with a spiral wound pin. No issues yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.