Elk hunting unit 231. Tips?

Lowery13

I'm going elk hunting in unit 231. We are going to draw for the first rifle season. None of the group of 4 has ever killed an elk or even seen one. So success to us would be to take a cow or smaller bull. Does anyone know this area? Any tips on where to camp or hunt in the unit? Strategy? We'll have Atv's. Also, we don't mind hiking.
I archery hunted for mule deer there a few yeas ago so I am somewhat familiar with he unit.

I'm going elk hunting in unit 231. We are going to draw for the first rifle season. None of the group of 4 has ever killed an elk or even seen one. So success to us would be to take a cow or smaller bull. Does anyone know this area? Any tips on where to camp or hunt in the unit? Strategy? We'll have Atv's. Also, we don't mind hiking.
I archery hunted for mule deer there a few yeas ago so I am somewhat familiar with he unit.

What state?

I've hunted 231 in Nevada and could give a few tips.

Nevada elk hunting is fantastic.

The hard part is drawing the tag. For a resident, it will take 10-15 years to get a tag in the lottery. Multiply that by 8-10 for a non-resident.

350 class bulls being taken are very common.

Some tips which are good for anywhere:

1. Use the internet. This includes Google Earth. Use Google Earth to "fly over" areas you want to hunt. Also use satellite pics. You should know EXACTLY what the area will look like before you get there. Using these maps right now it looks like your area is relatively wooded and "relatively" flat, with higher mountains to the northeast.

2. Check out any National campgrounds, roads, etc that can help you out with locations to stay, to drive, etc. Find out if you can even use an ATV where you are going.

3. Think seriously about one of you getting a GPS that you can use to download maps onto, and mark locations before you ever get there. Again, you want no surprises.

4. Take a look here: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting and this guy has a great blog: Montana Elk Hunting

Thanks so much for the info. I do have a gps and have uploaded a map of the area to it. Google Earth sounds like a great idea. I'll check it out.

Here's a comparison.

The top picture is me sitting on a ridge when elk hunting in 2007.
The bottom "picture" I just did with Google Earth. Not cropped quite as close as the top one but you get the idea.

See how close they are?

231 is a good elk unit and you should have no problem finding elk if you work hard at it. The western portion of the unit is best. Depends on snow and hunting pressure where most of the elk will be. If not much pressure or snow hunt high. If you have either check out the areas where the spruce and aspen meet. If there is a good bit of pressure they will be where the aspen and oak brush meet. Find the out of the way, hard to get to canyons and draws coming out of tha western side high country and you should do well.

Dr. Vette,
Are you sitting on the ROSSI ranch?
south of the little flattops.

Tom Miner basin, just north of Yellowstone (Gardiner).
First picture is south side of the basin looking west-ish, second picture is on the north side of the basin looking NE and up the Paradise Valley. Maybe you can see Ted Turner and Tom Brokaw in the distance. :D

THANKS DR.
if by chance you were talking about area 231 in colorado.
you will see that a lot is privet ground and the public is over run with hunters.
their success is baced on privet ground and even then it questionable
Ive hunted the area fo a few years and its not easy to get away from the
mass of histaria (people)
good luck.

Hey GearGrinder, I just Drew a Bull tag for 231 and I could use all the tips I can get about the area, I have never hunted this area before, looking foward to doing a lot of scouting frist.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.