Drew a Wyoming General tag

Hognuts

I am going on a trip into the Bridger Teton Wilderness area up in Wyoming this fall! We are going to hunt the Thorofare area. I am looking forward to it, it will be my second time in there, beautiful country just south of the Yellowstone boundary. My cousins live up there and are set up better than most guides, we had a blast last time (two years ago) Out of six of us we took three bulls out of there, (I did not shoot anything, but had a blast!) We saw wolves, Griz, bald eagles, moose, and elk. Looking forward to another amazing trip! Here are a few pics from our last trip.

DSCF2097-1.jpg

DSCF2188.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2130.jpg

DSCF2187.jpg

DSCF2162.jpg

DSCF2138.jpg

I can't wait for fall!!!

Thank you sir! It is going to be a blast, we always have a great time! Plenty of whiskey and good people nothing like spending a week up in the mountains breathing fresh air and sitting around a camp fire shooting the **** with good people and trying to get the drop on that elusive monster bull we all dream about! The 25 mile ride in....well that leaves a little to be desired, but all part of the experience I suppose! :)

WTT,

How long have you been waiting and what do I have to do to get a tag. I'd like to go west and hunt for an Elk or something in Wyoming.

In Wyoming for Non-residents you have to apply for a tag in January. They then do a drawing. I have put in 3 years in a row and have drawn 2 out of 3 times. Not sure if that is normal or if I have been fortunate. Montana also has a lot of out of state hunting opportunities. Its also a draw (which is still open) and I have drawn a tag up there 5 of the last 5 years. They have a large number of non-resident tags available. You can apply on-line or submit a paper application. Good luck to you sir

Sometimes there are left-over tags in Wyoming after the main draw, you may be able to get one of them. If you apply by the deadline (nex year) you can also put in for both a bull tag and a cow tag and you can draw both. ( I did two years ago, the tags were in different units, but I did draw them both)

I am not hunting with an outfitter. My cousins are residents so they fill out some kind of paperwork with fish and game that allows me to hunt with them. In fact the last time I went they forgot to do it soonce we got in there we rode over to the warden's cabin and he hand wrote us our "permission slip" for me to be in there as long as I was hunting with family.

I have only ever hunted with an outfitter one time, up in Montana, I went into the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness area with Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters out of Big Timber Montana. We did a drop camp in there. It is only about 65 miles north as the crow flies from the area where we are hunting in Wyoming. The area in Wyoming is only a few miles south of the Yellowstone line, the area we went in Montana and did the drop camp is about 12-14 miles North of the Yellowstone line.

I shot an decent 6x6 bull on opening day on the early season rifle hunt up in Montana.
DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

Cameron at Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters is GTG! Hell of a nice guy and a really good crew. They came in and pulled my bull out for me so me and my buddy could keep hunting. I ended up getting a small mulie in there too.

Super nice pics! :)

I too am going out to Wyoming this October,.. got drawn as well in the General draw.

I'm headed to the Pinedale area with some friends of mine who are locals / residents of the state. Your pics brought back so many good memories of the mountain ranges out that way,... you guys had a great looking camp. Those reminded me of a camp we had up in Idaho a few years back. I love the atmosphere wall tents provide,.. and we had several in Idaho.

The last hunt outwest in Wyoming we got to do it in a luxury fashion that I wasn't accustomed to,.. my hunting bud purchased a nice travel trailer to hang our hats in,.. was different to say the least. I'm really looking forward to doing another horseback / pack in style hunt like I did back in the mid 90's in Montana,.. that was a blast !

2007IdahoElkHuntGT003.jpg

Idaho

2007IdahoElkHuntGT002.jpg

Idaho

2007IdahoElkHuntGT001.jpg

Idaho

WyomingHunt2009009.jpg

Wyoming

WyomingHunt2009044.jpg

Wyoming

WyomingHunt2009002.jpg

Wyoming

I can't wait for October to roll around,.. I've got a itchy trigger finger,.. lol! :D

Beautiful country! Yea, I am anxious to get back in the mountains. I grew up in Montana. Now that I live here in Vegas it makes me miss it even more! Good luck to you this fall!

Hey Terry! I hear you about living it up in a trailer compared to a tent camp. I just sold my little popup camper and bought this like new inside and out 19' 1997 Fleetwood trailer for $3700. That little one was just too small for 8-11 weeks like I've been spending out there every Fall. You'll never guess where I picked it up---two blocks south off the main drag right in Custer!

Attachments

• Trailer 003.JPG
    Trailer 003.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Trailer 005.JPG
    Trailer 005.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 162
So WHAT ,... your right in the neighborhood and you couldn't call or stop on by ??? I could have given you the grand tour of my place and MY 30 ft 5th wheel. :)

Maybe the next time you stroll though the town,.. you've never been to my place since my move here,...

It was a deal that all happened in less than 3 days in December while the days were real short. I was up there and headed back on a Sunday afternoon real quick to make sure I could get back here with it before dark in case the light system hookup wasn't compatible with my truck. As it turned out it was the proper hookup and everything went fine. I'll get up to see you one of these days when the weather warms and maybe we can even get out on the big lake and catch a few fish.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.