Dream sheep gun

I would take my .257 Weatherby Mag Accumark (Leopold VX-3 4.5-14x) with 100gr TSX for sheep, but for being in bear country, then I take .300 Wby Mag UltraLight (Nightforce 3.5-15x) with 180gr TSX, just in case

The mighty 270WSM!
Not a great photo but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

• IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 290
no pic sorry but its a great question!!!!!! and a lot of great answers which makes Great reading and Dreaming, approaching my 60th year here im Content to say theres no bad answer, But theres this little Savage 270WSM ,md 14 American classic,thats been tripping my trigger finger off & on this past summer, and ya no she just won't quit, she's Berry happy with my reloads ,plays nice most of the time with my other Gals meaning rifles, ive not found any dings inside the safe door as yet ,but im sure theres been some heated arguments between the Gals . OOP'S I guess I voted, lol AVery Happy Belated CHRISTMAS to ALL, and Happy new Year!!!!!! very nice 270 wsm pix above,thks jjmp gun)gun)gun)

Well I know this thread is a little old but thought it was a great topic as my brother and I are going on a fly-in for Stone Sheep this year so here's a cpl of our rifles we had built By Gunsmith Gary Flach.
1st up is my 280AI built on a Husqvarna H5000 action, Benchmark #1 contour 24" SS barrel, Wildcat Stock,Timney Trigger, action trued and squared, scoped it weighs 7lbs 2.8oz

Next is another 280AI on a Rem 700 SS action, trued,squared,fluted, bolt shroud and handle lightened, Wildcat Stock,Benchmark #1 contour SS barrel 26" 1-9 twist, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, both rifles shot amazingly well with factory Nosler 140gr Accubonds, 7lbs scoped.

Last edited:
Sheep just aren't very bright, nor do they receive ANY significant hunting pressure. Might as well take a bow ;) Or just get within 300 yards and just about any decent setup will do....

Sheep just aren't very bright, nor do they receive ANY significant hunting pressure. Might as well take a bow ;) Or just get within 300 yards and just about any decent setup will do....
Bighorns are super wary in our general season- full curl,no draw. I have hunted Stone's also and once they see pressure the big rams are not so easy to hunt.
The chambering are great but cut the barrels down for convenience-22"is ideal,imo

When the day comes I draw an Idaho sheep tag I'll be ready.

It's between these 2

Tikka 270 WSM, B&C medalist stock, fluted bolt, Talley LW, Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 comes in at a little over 7.5 lbs shooting 140 Nosler AB factory ammo.

Matt at Whaley Precision Rifles just finished this 300 RUM for me.
Lone Peak Razor Ti action
CA carbon wrapped barrel at 25"
McMillan Game Hunter Edge Tech
Calvin Elite Timney
CA Ti brake
Hawkins Rings
VX-6 3-18x44 TMOA
Exactly 8 lbs all up
Load 200 grain AB getting 2950 fps
I've shot this out to 1151 yards and it's an absolute laser as is the Tikka

I bet that rum is badass. Im gonna build one of the rums with those same specs someday. Love all the rum calibers and having one that light would be really nice.

My go-to sheep/mtn goat rifle isn't anything special. I use a standard Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM. It is relatively light weight for hauling around the hills. I could tell when I first picked it up it was well made (especially for a production rifle). It shoots relatively tight groups for a 30 cal. The only problem I've had is loading a 2nd shell. It doesn't seem very smooth with the short-blocky cartridge. I usually only plan on shooting 1 shot so that hasn't been a problem!

MY IDEAL BACKPACKING/SHEEP/ELK RIFLE

1. ACTION-> titanium 3 lug bolt

2. BARREL-> Proof Research CF wrapped, preferably 5R rifling

3. STOCK-> Manners or other good carbon fiber with high comb and classic cheek piece

4. CARTRIDGE-> 6.5 Creedmoor up to 300 WSM

5. SCOPE-> Vortex AMG light but powerful and brilliant glass

6. SCOPE MOUNT-> Nightforce one-piece aluminum mount (zero degree on a 20 degree Pic. rail)

Eric B.

Last edited:
After having my 300 win built and shooting it a bit I had an epiphany. Although it was a dream to shoot and easily held 1/2moa to 500yds (farthest I tried) I realized an 11# rig is way too heavy. I picked up a sako finnlight in 270win because I got a very good deal on it. It is right at 8.5# with a new VX5 and shoots cheap ammo at .5moa. So for 1/2 the cost of a custom they are going to be hard to beat. Only thing I would like is to jump to the 7RM or 300shorty.

I am 2 months away from my first sheep hunt. Fingers crossed

l have my dream gun. HEYM SR-30 7mmRM been useing it for 10 years now. if l had too choose a nother one it would have to be a HEYM SR-30 again in 7mmRM with a GRS STOCK :D

The one very good thing about Proof Research barrels aside form being significantly lighter than all steel barrels is their ability to keep a good group even when heated up after a long string of shots.

This is partly due to the stiffness imparted by the CF wrap and partly due to the fact that CF wrapped barrels cool much faster than all steel barrels.

So if you are thinking of a hot cartridge like the 6.5 Weatherby or .300 Ultra Mag you should be thinking of a CF wrapped barrel. For me that means only a Proof Research barrel because of their proprietary diagonally, overlapping wrapped CF fibers that leave the barrel with a perfect uniformity.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.