Dream sheep gun

all ready have it just need to draw a sheep tag. that seems to be the part that takes the longest :rolleyes:
ultra light arms 20s action with a 22" barrel chambered in 25x47 topped with leupold vx3 2.5-8 x36
very little recoil and tops the scales at 5lbs 1 1/2oz ready to shoot :D

Stiller Long Action , Timney Elite trigger
Benchmark Carbon fiber#6 contour 26" T.I break chambered in 6.5 Sherman 160gr Matrix
Mc Millan GS or warden edge tech black
ATARS Bottom metal
Vortex Viper HS LR with 1/4 min turret
Near 10MOA 1 piece rail
8LBS

I may never go sheep hunting, but I have a rifle being finished now that I'd likely take if I do. It is getting the laser engraving on the barrel now, and I'm picking it up Friday.

I had a Winchester M70 in 270 win with a #3 fluted Pac-Nor 25.5" barrel. The gunsmith was supposed to cut it to 24" when he installed it, but it didn't happen and I just left it that way. It shot really well with 130 or 140gr accubonds and I took a few does and my best elk with it. It had a B&C Alaskan stock, Leupold 4.5-14x CDS scope with the VH reticle in Talley rings. The rifle weighed 7lbs, ready to hunt with sling and ammo it weighed 8.5lbs.

While the rifle shot great and I took some game with it, I never liked the long barrel. It put the stock to far above my head when in the Eberlestock scabbard and the whole gun was a bit heavier than I wanted. I really like the M70 style safety and action so when I found a Kimber 84L Montana in 280 Ackley used I snagged it. The rifle felt great but shot terrible. I tried several loads and factory Nosler ammo and never got it under 3" by much. No wonder I found it used! Still the price was reasonable so I decided to swap my good shooting 270 barrel over to this action and have it shortened to 24" at the same time. The heavier M70 rifle got a #4 barrel in 25-06 and I think my wife is stealing it now for antelope and deer. My new 270 will be my main deer size game rifle for physically demanding hunts. It will also be my back-up elk rifle, and probably my back-up rifle for most every hunt. If I take my 264WM or something else hard to find ammo for as a primary rifle, I'll have a 270 for back-up if something goes wrong, ammo gets lost, etc. 270 ammo is found about anywhere ammo is sold.

The build of the Kimber which I'm naming Kimberly (Kimber designed around Eberlestock) is as follows.

-Kimber stainless 84L action with trigger set to 2lbs
-Kimber factory stock bedded and floated
-Pac-Nor #3 fluted stainless barrel 24" in 270 win
-Talley rings
-Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x with CDS and VH reticle. I sent this scope to them and had it designed how I wanted. I can use the VH if I'm in a hurry, dial if I have time. I have this reticle on a lot of rifles and really like it. The system sounds confusing but I have not had trouble even when the adrenaline is flowing

Hopefully it works as well as planned, I can't wait to get it home and shoot it.

hello, hows about a st.st.700 alltrued trimed w/25" #4 st.st.lawrance fluted #4 barrelallin .270 short mag.timney trigger,carbon Lonewolf light stock.shoots130partions or 140 accubounds well about way under one inch w/factory loads.topped w/ leoupold 3x10.under8lb.w/sling. love this game.:D

YOSEPPY,

Best of luck.

I oughta be drawn for desert bighorn next season or possibly the one following. Desert bighorn is the most difficult big game tag in North America to draw. I won't screw a up a once-in-a-lifetome hunt by using a rifle the won't do the job. I'll be taking my 43+ year-old Model 700 in 270. It has a factory 22" barrel. With 60 grains of H-4831SC and a 130 grain Sierra GK, it'll shoot less than a half-inch at a hundred yards. Many custom made rifle won't shoot as good as my 43 year-old Model 700.

The way I look at it, the sheep Grand Slam is a four shot proposition. I think that wisdom would be found in using an appropriate rifle that you might already have in your battery. I'd use the money I'd save on a custom gun on hiring a guide. Then I'd try to work my Rocky Mountain bighorn bonus point. Dall and stone sheep should be much easier to dial in.

Since desert bighorn and, to a lesser extent, Rocky Mountain bighorn are the key unknown variable in a Grand Slam that force hunters to use a rifle that he shoots superbly. An 8 pound rifle would be heaviest I'm consider using.

Sheep do not require magnums to kill. A 7x57 would be close to perfect,

McWhorter 7 Rem Mag or 6.5 SAUM
McWhorter Ti action
McM HTG or Game Warden edge technology stock
Proof Research 24-26" barrel w/ brake
Glass of preference

YOSEPPY,

Best of luck.

I oughta be drawn for desert bighorn next season or possibly the one following. Desert bighorn is the most difficult big game tag in North America to draw. I won't screw a up a once-in-a-lifetome hunt by using a rifle the won't do the job. I'll be taking my 43+ year-old Model 700 in 270. It has a factory 22" barrel. With 60 grains of H-4831SC and a 130 grain Sierra GK, it'll shoot less than a half-inch at a hundred yards. Many custom made rifle won't shoot as good as my 43 year-old Model 700.

The way I look at it, the sheep Grand Slam is a four shot proposition. I think that wisdom would be found in using an appropriate rifle that you might already have in your battery. I'd use the money I'd save on a custom gun on hiring a guide. Then I'd try to work my Rocky Mountain bighorn bonus point. Dall and stone sheep should be much easier to dial in.

Since desert bighorn and, to a lesser extent, Rocky Mountain bighorn are the key unknown variable in a Grand Slam that force hunters to use a rifle that he shoots superbly. An 8 pound rifle would be heaviest I'm consider using.

Sheep do not require magnums to kill. A 7x57 would be close to perfect,
I like what you have to say as I am a long time sheep hunter.These rams are not hard to kill,but getting to them is not for the unfit hunter,you will carry your gear in in some tough country.I like a compact rifle,the .270 win is perfect .Shots are not long and it is key the ram is legal (here in B.C. ) It must be full curl and this needs to be judged at fairly close distances with good optics.We are lucky to hunt 3 of the 4 species in our province.Yup,get a good factory rifle because you can spend the extra money on other gear or the hunt.I always choose short light sheep rifles that can take a beating imo.

I'm confused,,,there are so many ways to save weight in a sheep pack than the rifle, basically the tool that will be last line to your success. My perfect setup is 10 pounds, includes a 5.5-22 night force. Not sure if it's day hunting, but when I hear a 8.5 pound rifle is too heavy I'm just confused. I can vary my pack weight 2-5 pounds with just how much water I choose to carry. Just don't get the need to nut a rifle by going sub 8. And sorry, but I'd say 90% of sheep hunters, including me. Has that extra 3 pounds or so in extra body weight. But I really don't care, other than a post anti ultralight rifle for sheep..I'd just spend money and effort differently, still includes a custom rifle, just not at these weights.

I will say, as long as ranges are kept within reason, additional recoil is acceptable. Then ya, bring on 5 pounds, but keeping in the title of this forum, I like options that 5-6 pounds does not give me

Stiller Predator action, Satern 26" #4 taper barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL carbon fiber stock, NF 2.5-10x32 scope. Built by Kirby Allen. Weighs 8 lbs scoped. Light enough to carry anywhere, enough heft to settle well. 270 WSM. Reliably shoots half MOA with Berger 140 HVLD's at 3170FPS. Longest shot with it last year was a 796 yd marmot.
Now I just need to draw my Colorado sheep tag. Into my second decade trying to draw. I have points and weighted points, now just need some luck.

I'm confused,,,there are so many ways to save weight in a sheep pack than the rifle, basically the tool that will be last line to your success. My perfect setup is 10 pounds, includes a 5.5-22 night force. Not sure if it's day hunting, but when I hear a 8.5 pound rifle is too heavy I'm just confused. I can vary my pack weight 2-5 pounds with just how much water I choose to carry. Just don't get the need to nut a rifle by going sub 8. And sorry, but I'd say 90% of sheep hunters, including me. Has that extra 3 pounds or so in extra body weight. But I really don't care, other than a post anti ultralight rifle for sheep..I'd just spend money and effort differently, still includes a custom rifle, just not at these weights.

I will say, as long as ranges are kept within reason, additional recoil is acceptable. Then ya, bring on 5 pounds, but keeping in the title of this forum, I like options that 5-6 pounds does not give me
I find packing extra weight of a rifle a burden,extra length too.It is often carried in my hand ,up rock chutes ,over and through all kinds of things.A hunter needs good fitness, great equipment and a rifle that will take a beating imo.Shots are seldom long because the Rams are scrutinized so carefully around here,a 1/4" can make it short and illegal,thus taken away .Besides at 59 years old the little things matter now. ..Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.