Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?

Do You Hunt Ducks or Geese?

• YES

Votes: 588 47.6%
  • NO

Votes: 648 52.4%

• Total voters
I don't hunt ducks or geese, but a friend of mine invited me to go goose hunting this fall when I go back to South Dakota for pheasant and deer hunting so I might take him up on it this year. :)

No but, wouldn't mind trying, maybe I'll do it one day.

Last edited:
You bet. Start the day after big game season is over - which is Thanksgiving weekend. Mix them "flying carp" with deer or antelope and make into sausage and you can't taste the duck or goose.

Yep. Anything I can do to get more trigger time. But thankfully I know a couple people who actually like duck and goose meat, so theyre pleased as punch when I give em a few gallon freezer baggs full at the end of the season.
In short, if it goes bang, and Im hunting something Im all over it:D.

Love duck hunting too. Pass up about 90% of them cause they are mostly merganser (taste like dirt mixed with bugs). Find 'em in 30' wide semi-swift rivers, never had a set up to have 'em flying to me. That would be nice though. :)

I live 15 miles from Stuttgart AR and everybody here but me hunts ducks. I hate it. Get up at 330 in the morning so you can ride 45 minutes in a boat in 20-30 degree weather, usually raining, wade a half mile carrying your gun, plenty of ammo, a massive decoy bag and the rest of your gear. You get your stuff set up and then put out the decoys, kill five ducks, gather your stuff and do it again in backwards order and go home. Not for me. I prefer deer hunting. Got the whole summer and early fall to get your stand ready when it is time to hunt, I go to my little house on the hill, its a ten minute four wheeler ride, and if I feel like walking I will park a quarter mile away, and walk the trail to my stand, if I don't I will ride straight to it. go in my stand, sit down, light the heater, hang out and watch for deer to walk out at 715, 840, and 935 in the mean time watch the back side of the hill in hopes that grand daddy slips up and shows me more than his head. then at least once every weekend a have a group come by I haven't seen before in a new area. That is how I like to hunt. Otherwise I get down off the stand grab ol' thumper (encore 45/70) and go slippin down in the creek bottom.

Just getting started, Got a goose last year and shot at some mallards, which was fun. A little range time this summer should help. Goose opens the Sept. 1!
My boy will be able to hunt this year, so It will be a great time regardless of what we get.
Sausage is a good way, I just filet the breast, the rest is coyote bait.

i feel dumb saying this but i used to hunt ducks like a fanatic. i used to hunt with a browning bps and 2 dozen decoys. i said to myself "this is getting too expensive" so i began my real bird passion of hunting quail. so i bought a $1800 beretta ultalight...now im having a custom LR rig being built. I feel retarded:D killed a lot of birds though. still love quail hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.